18-20'' wheel owners got a question

Status
Not open for further replies.

houston_t

Greasemonkey
Nov 15, 2016
Metro Detroit
To the guys riding on 18'' - 20'' wheels are you riding on stock replacement suspension or did you go with lower and stiffer springs like Eibach or moog 5658 ?

I am planning on new wheels and need to update my suspension at the same time, I plan on going with all Moog rubber bushings, ball joints and steering components. The shacks and springs is where i need some help, I am not looking for a track car type of stiff suspension this car is going to be for cruising but i also don't want to be rubbing tires since I am planing on 18-20''

Feel free to post up pics of what you got also.

Thanks

Streetbu

Know it all, that doesn't
Supporting Member
May 22, 2011
Central NY
I'm running 275/35/18 on all four corners. Using RideTech front suspension and HQ adjustable coilovers on the front. Rear are Suspension Techniques sport lowering springs and KYB shocks. I will probably go with the RideTech rear suspension once I can save up some more $$$ I did notch the rear to the seam. I have no rubbing, unless I hit a BIG pothole while I'm also turning and going over 15mph. I have one right at the end of my driveway and purposely tried to make it happen. With stock suspension I have a feeling you will rub especially if you lower the car at all. The stock camber curve tilts the front tires out instead of in. RideTech suspension fixes that buy you can also do it with the tall upper balljoints and a bump steer elimination kit.... Forgot to mention, wheels are 18x9.5 with 5.25" backspacing.
IMG_20180721_135521.jpg

Reactions: 3 users

houston_t

Greasemonkey
Nov 15, 2016
Metro Detroit
What all parts does your Ridetech suspension consist of and do you feel it was necessary to make your wheels fit, also what would you say the ride quality is ? Im in Michigan and we have some damn rough roads that's why I am trying to stay away from too stiff of a suspension. The wheels im considering are 19x9.5 with a 4.75 backspacing.

Reactions: 1 user

houston_t

Greasemonkey
Nov 15, 2016
Metro Detroit
Oh your car looks great by the way, I like the stance but prob would want to sit about a inch higher with mines

Streetbu

Supporting Member
May 22, 2011
Central NY
There is no way with less backspacing that your front wheels wouldn't hit the fender lip. Mine is damn close now. Height may help some though. RideTexh stuff consists of upper and lower a-arms, adjustable coilovers, and bump steer kit. (Replaces outer tie rods with spherical rod ends and spacers to move them down.) Ride quality is much better than before with cut springs and KYB shocks. Firm, but not harsh. NY roads aren't much better... LOL

houston_t

Greasemonkey
Nov 15, 2016
Metro Detroit
Yea I was hoping they would fit as is, I have also looked into having the fronts narrowed to 8-8.5” and will do that as a last resort.

BOXCARS

Master Mechanic
Apr 29, 2017
I really can't help you choose what suspension parts to get, but maybe you can glean some information from my situation that helps in your choices. I certainly have a minor problem with tire/wheel lip contact when going over dips in the road, depending on how deep it is and sometimes with abrupt bumps. However, I have taken steps to be sure my tires are not damaged by this incidental contact. I went to the largest tires I could fit in my stock wheel well, (5.5" BS) and when you choose to do that, you can't avoid some frame or wheel lip contact. I bought my wheels from another GN owner so I knew they fit, but when I went larger, from 285s to 305 30 20s, I had to trim my wheel lip. On the front I have standard HD shocks with helper springs, tubular upper and lowers, the lowers being Spohn and the uppers, I don't know. Got them from G-body parts 10 years ago. I have slight rub on the plastic inner fender when wheels are fully turned. On the rear, Camaro springs with the same shocks, and the indispensible air bags, not to raise the body but just to stiffen up for less travel.

Attachments

• 305s.JPG
    305s.JPG
    2.5 MB · Views: 1,255
  • Picture 001.jpg
    Picture 001.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 458
Reactions: 3 users

Streetbu

Supporting Member
May 22, 2011
Central NY
This is where the taller balljoints for a better camber curve, and the bump steer kit come into play... JMO

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor