18" rim/tire combination

Status
Not open for further replies.

ostrich

Master Mechanic
Aug 27, 2012
Ontario, Canada
Guys, looking at changing the wheels and tires on my 85SS. I've read a lot about different combinations and I think I'm good, but wanted to run it by to see if I've missed something.

Frontend has taller upper & lower ball joints, 36mm F-body sway bar, IROC steering box, blazer brakes. Will be cutting the springs when ready. Looking at 18x8 BS4.5"- with 245/40/18 tires.
Rearend Ford 8.8 (which is about 3/4" wider than gbody). Looking at 18x9.5 BS 5.25"- with 275/40/18 tires

I think this combination should work without rubbing (front) or hitting the frame rails (rear) etc?

BOXCARS

Master Mechanic
Apr 29, 2017
As far as the rear, seems to me you'll have adequate room between the frame rail and the tire considering the wider 8" rear, and you should also be good with a 4.5" backspace 8" rims on the front. We can only estimate.

Streetbu

Know it all, that doesn't
Supporting Member
May 22, 2011
Central NY
Yeah should fit. I'm running 275/35/18 on all four corners with no rubbing on 9.5" wide wheels with 5.25" backspacing, rear frame rails have been notched to the seam, using a GN 8.5" rear end and RideTech front suspension
IMG_20180706_062136.jpg

• In Love
  • Winner
Reactions: 4 users

vanrah

G-Body Guru
Apr 16, 2013
Near Afton, Wisconsin
StreetBu & all; Wow I like your automobile & thank you for the wheel & tire info. And to say I'm a 10 spoke wheel fan would be an understatement. Constructive criticism, subjective of course? Loose the chrome bumpers, put reenforcement bars across the frame rails & go to the fiberglass smoothies front & rear. Your paint is new enough that a match will be possible. You'll delete a bunch of unwanted weight & it will be easer to clean - SMOooth! I'd love to meet ya at an Auto-X as it may be damn equal? Ok you got the advantage with shorter side walls, but I'd give ya a run? Have FUN, Ole' Bob.

Attachments

• IMG_6269 (2).jpg
    IMG_6269 (2).jpg
    556 KB · Views: 230
  • Clever
Reactions: 1 users

Streetbu

Know it all, that doesn't
Supporting Member
May 22, 2011
Central NY
Yes they are. Really couldn't pass them up for the price. Just Be careful if you order them they have two different backspacing's available. 5.25" and 5.75" IIRC. The 5.75" definitely won't fit a G body...

• Informative
Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor