18”x10” rims on a 1987 Monte Carlo.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chevelle_68

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jun 4, 2011
Norway
Is it possible to fit 18x10 in the rear on a 1987 Monte Carlo LS?
I have to sets of 18” rims and both of them are 10” wide for the rear. My plan was to use one set on my 87 Monte and one set on my 68 Chevelle.
The 18x10 rims, seems like a really tight fit. Is it even possible to fit 10” wide rims on these cars whit out bigger modifications?
The rims are from BMW 5 and 7-series, so I need wheel spacers/adapters to get them on. I would really like to figure out if they can fit, before I waste money on spacers/adapters.

Helge

85Supreme

Royal Smart Person
Aug 25, 2009
Im pretty sure 10 in will fit, not sure though.

drogg1

G-Body Guru
Jan 25, 2009
A 275mm wide tire will fit so I would say maybe with proper tire selection and exact spacers. Although I'm thinking you need just an outrageously big spacer. Probably look sweet though. I've always like the wheels will not too much lip.

79MaliCrazz

G-Body Guru
Nov 6, 2010
Lake Wylie,SC
I was planning on doing the same 18x10 on the rear but due to my research it will not fit right it will hit the frame and scrape the inner fender he will need to get his frame notched and roll the inner fender then no problems fitting it from what i have searched.

drogg1

G-Body Guru
Jan 25, 2009
I only say it might on the basis that a 275mm tire will fit with the correct backspacing and 27fmm is 10.83 inches so in theory with a slim enough tire a 10 inch rim would have to have room if there's room for a 10.83inch tire

79MaliCrazz

G-Body Guru
Nov 6, 2010
Lake Wylie,SC
drogg1 said:
I only say it might on the basis that a 275mm tire will fit with the correct backspacing and 27fmm is 10.83 inches so in theory with a slim enough tire a 10 inch rim would have to have room if there's room for a 10.83inch tire

True but here in NY I can't have a low profile tire with all the pot holes.

78MC-BBC

Master Mechanic
Jan 29, 2008
There are a lot of us guys running 17x9.5 rims on the rear already with a 275/40 tire i don't see why a rim with 1/2" more would not fit? Just make sure you get the correct backspace.

Then again the size of the wheel well does vary from model to model and most if not all g-body's the rear axle is not centered on the frame so you can and probably have more clearance on one side of the car than the other.

I am running 17x9.5 rims with 275/40-17's and a backspace of 5" and i have no clearance issues at all, but when i first bought the tires and rims everybody told me with that backspacing these was no way that the tire and rim would not hit the frame and wheel well, but it actually does fit.

Chevelle_68

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jun 4, 2011
Norway
Thanks for the input.
My plan now, is to make some bolt extensions for the wheel bolts. Then I can hang the rims on the axel, and measure exactly how big the spacers should be. At the same time I will remove the rear springs and shocks. This will leave the axel hanging only in the control arms. So when the car is hanging on the lift, I can jack the axel up and down freely. Then I will see were the rims are going to hit the inner fender, and make adjustments from what I see.

Here are some pictures of the rims I have.

Attachments

• 014.JPG
    014.JPG
    292.2 KB · Views: 2,126
  • IMG_9633.JPG
    IMG_9633.JPG
    180.6 KB · Views: 2,087
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor