1946 Farmall A

Status
Not open for further replies.

Clone TIE Pilot

Comic Book Super Hero
Aug 14, 2011
Galaxy far far away
One of my other projects is a classic farm tractor, a 1946 Farmall Model A. It has a 113 CID, 4 cylinder, OHV engine which produces 18 HP and 70 pounds of torque, basically all low end torque. The motor only has a top speed of 1,500 RPMs. Also has a 4 speed manual transmission and both a shaft and belt pulley power take offs. The motor is pretty tough with all forged steel internals, wet cylinder sleeves, full floating pins, and bronze valve guides bone stock. Mine has electric start and distributor ignition option, most used magnetos. I had to split the tractor in half to rebuild the clutch. It has a few upgrades I put in it. A Farmall C governor spring swap so she can rev to 1,600 RPM, !2 volt alternator upgrade, electronic ignition to delete the points, and a aftermarket seat cushion as the stock seats are uncushioned steel pans. Luckily, mine came with rear wheel weights for better traction.

Here is a stock image of an A.
1946_Super_A_Tractor.jpg

You are not seeing things, As are distinctive offset tractors, driver sits on the right and the powertrain is offset to the left for better ground vision. Currently I have a 5 foot wide pull behind mower deck that can mow down saplings. Also have a hitch ball for pulling my cargo trailer. My future plan is to get some LED headlights for it and maybe front wheel weights or a brush bar.

• Winner
Reactions: 7 users

WanaBa442

G-Body Guru
Aug 5, 2017
New England
Never had an A, grew up on a Super M. Best day was the day Dad put the hand clutch on it, before that I'd have both hands on the wheel for leverage while pushing the clutch pedal with both feet:eek:
Tough old tractor, we ended up adding more lights and a horn off an old Mercury sedan.

DRIVEN

Geezer
Apr 25, 2009
*CENSORED*
I like that a whole lot. Is that a little step dangling down by the right rear wheel?

1bad79

Royal Smart Person
Dec 3, 2011
Allendale mi
I have a BN the goes big wheels forwards and has a forklift mast on it. In Michigan everyone has one of these we just call them field forklifts

1evilregal

Comic Book Super Hero
Apr 23, 2009
Greensboro, NC
they're cool little tractors! where I'm at in NC, they're everywhere, and alot of even smaller models as well... goes to show the durability these little things have!

Nov 4, 2012
Very cool, I love old tractors. There is a Model B poppin Johnny for sale locally that I've had an eye on for a while, I really want to grab it, but I need to find a place to store it first.

Clone TIE Pilot

Comic Book Super Hero
Aug 14, 2011
Galaxy far far away
Didn't know they made hand clutches
they're cool little tractors! where I'm at in NC, they're everywhere, and alot of even smaller models as well... goes to show the durability these little things have!

They are quite a few Farmalls up here in NJ too. Just about every farm has a few of them. They sure are tough machines and its nice the OEM still makes parts for them.

Ribbedroof

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Jan 4, 2009
Wellston, OK
1957 Ford 850 here...mowing/grading rig, though the front loader does come in handy

7X2SuB.jpg

Reactions: 1 user

Turbo Zach

Comic Book Super Hero
Sep 8, 2015
Beings I am from Iowa. I have a collection of farm equipment also. Here is one of mine you might like.
20170729_161345.jpg
Sorry for the hyjac. I will erase it if you want.

• Winner
Reactions: 1 users

Clone TIE Pilot

Comic Book Super Hero
Aug 14, 2011
Galaxy far far away
Its cool, I like seeing unusually setups like that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor