Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
Reactions: 1 users

CopperNick

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Feb 20, 2018
Canada
Can you do a return and swap or are you stuck with it?

+100 on the gleam and glitter. Shame to hide that under primer and paint; throw a couple of coats of clear at it and you'd have a surprise to awe and amaze the rubberneckers at the local show and shine.

Nick

Nov 4, 2012
Well, that's kind of disappointing. Deck lid looks good thought.
At least it isn't Buick specific. Thanks.
You get a like for the quality prep work im seeing.
Thanks. It is about as good as I can get it. Stripping these jamb areas is always a PITA.
That is the correct panel but I'm looking for one with the rear part of the package tray section attached.
Can you do a return and swap or are you stuck with it?

+100 on the gleam and glitter. Shame to hide that under primer and paint; throw a couple of coats of clear at it and you'd have a surprise to awe and amaze the rubberneckers at the local show and shine.

Nick
It's already on its way back.

I actually know guy with a 69 Camaro that was bare metal with clear over it. It looked cool for a few years but the clear had a hard time sticking to the bare metal and after a while he had to strip it and clear it again.

Reactions: 1 user
Nov 4, 2012
Sprayed the decklid yesterday. Weather today and the rest of the week is going to be wet so if I didn't get it done yesterday it wasn't gonna get happen this week.

I probably should've laid it on a little heavier but I was using a different gun and didn't get a feel for it until I was just about done. I'm gonna have to prime again after I fix the pinholes anyways so not a huge deal.
20230321_212759.jpg

Reactions: 12 users

ck80

Supporting Member
Feb 18, 2014
Sprayed the decklid yesterday. Weather today and the rest of the week is going to be wet so if I didn't get it done yesterday it wasn't gonna get happen this week.

I probably should've laid it on a little heavier but I was using a different gun and didn't get a feel for it until I was just about done. I'm gonna have to prime again after I fix the pinholes anyways so not a huge deal.
View attachment 218170
I'm guessing it wasn't all that great since it's somewhat faded away, but, remember those 'sprayed metal' guys you saw advertised all over the place years back?

Just popped in my head as yet another option if you had a series of places you'd rather not replace but were thin, have them hit em all at once, one visit..... if we find anyone who used it and can attest to it working....

Nov 4, 2012
I'm guessing it wasn't all that great since it's somewhat faded away, but, remember those 'sprayed metal' guys you saw advertised all over the place years back?

Just popped in my head as yet another option if you had a series of places you'd rather not replace but were thin, have them hit em all at once, one visit..... if we find anyone who used it and can attest to it working....

I don't think I remember that stuff. What was it exactly?

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

ck80

Supporting Member
Feb 18, 2014
I don't think I remember that stuff. What was it exactly?
In the industrial world it is called thermal spraying, also metallizing. It's done with everything from steel, to copper, aluminum, chromium, you name it onto all types of substrate.

Back, I dont know when, maybe 1990s could be, you'd see ads in magazines and such for 'metal spraying' being done by franchise guys kind of like the dustless blasting now.

Anyways, as the name sounds, it attaches and builds up a sealed prepared surface with metal instead of a filler, goal to be avoiding panel replacement and since it's actual metal nothing to bubble up or all out.

They really used to push it back when repop panels weren't everywhere for everything and what was there sucked for fit.

I did a Google search and this weird site seems to list different systems: https://www.tmsmetalizing.com/industries/automotive-rust-repair-metal-filling-corrosion-control.html

But the application seemed to be perforated panels that were too expensive or hard to find to change, things not repoped, etc.

Nov 4, 2012
Small update but I welded up the pinholes in the decklid today. I was able to turn the heat all the way down and fine tune the wire speed. Once I got some metal built up I was able to fill them in. Still gonna need a skim coat of filler.
20230327_154014.jpg
20230327_154022.jpg

I ordered the (hopefully) correct deck filler panel. They charged my card but the bastids still haven't shipped it.

Reactions: 10 users

CopperNick

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Feb 20, 2018
Canada
Nice! May not even need the filler by itself, just a couple of heavy coats of primer/filler and some sanding.

Scored a small tube of white RTV sealant and put the ladder back up against the main door. Gave the door seal to upper door edge seam a pass of RTV to close it up. Still have a few extra holes to take care of but nothing critical.

Nick

ck80

Supporting Member
Feb 18, 2014
Small update but I welded up the pinholes in the decklid today. I was able to turn the heat all the way down and fine tune the wire speed. Once I got some metal built up I was able to fill them in. Still gonna need a skim coat of filler.
View attachment 218452 View attachment 218453
I ordered the (hopefully) correct deck filler panel. They charged my card but the bastids still haven't shipped it.
You know, for all our talk with 69hurstolds lately, I do believe I may see someone who picked up some white new balances to go with his buick....

• Haha
Reactions: 6 users

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor