1967 Pontiac 400 in a G-body- attn: Algershick

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
Hi, Algershick. I was going to PM but decided to open a topic so all could benefit. I love the '67 Pontiac 400 in a G-body idea! But be careful, the mounting bolt holes on the side of the block may not be correct in a G-body. Up to 1970 Pontiac used two mounting bolt holes on each side. After 1970 they used three holes for a different type engine mount. Blocks made between 1970 and 1976 had five holes so that blocks could be used in both the new and old models. 1977 to 1981 only had the three holes and are what our cars came with. Here is an article I cut from this site: http://pontiachunters.com/articles/pontiac-engine-block-identification/http://pontiachunters.com/articles/pontiac-engine-block-identification/

"In 1970, all blocks now had (5) motor mount holes, but not always tapped. The additional holes were done to fit the 2nd generation Firebird/Trans Am frame. The last of the V8’s (1977 to 1979) did not have the rear motor mount holes at all. Making it very difficult to install in to a GTO/Tempest.

1959-1969 Blocks have only (2) motor mount holes on each side of the block (see #2 & #5). These blocks will fit any 1964-1974 Pontiac A-body except cars originally equipped with a 455, which used a 3-bolt style mount. Later cars with 3-bolt motor mounts can be adapted to fit this block using a Butler Performance WRP-MM6 or Ames Performance N24CCA adapter kit.

1970-1976 Blocks have all (5) bolts holes (see above) but were not always tapped. The additional holes were done to fit the 2nd generation Firebird/Trans Am frame. These blocks are very interchangeable and will fit any 1959-1979 Pontiac V8 motor mounts.

1977-1979 Blocks have only (3) motor mount holes (see #1, 3 & 4), but can be adapted to fit earlier cars that originally used a 3-bolt mount by using the Butler Performance WRP-MM5 or Ames Performance N24CC adapter kit."

The adapters are available but not a perfect fit so expect some swearing when installing. Another thing is the fact that in '67 high compression was the rule. You may need a swap to low compression heads to use the motor with today's crummy gas. Good luck and post your progress as I'm sure we all want to see how this turns out!

• Informative
Reactions: 1 users

Bar50

Royal Smart Person
Jan 1, 2009
Tulsa, OK
I don't remember what year the engine was but:

I cut the centers out of some Pontiac ralley wheels and the rims from a Volkswagen and made 15x5 skinny front Pontiac ralley wheels.

I had this one a few years back, plucked out the little Pontiac motor in exchange for a real one.
Installed a 6X headed 400 with TH400 with 3.42s from an S10, they should have sold them that way new.

I do remember I never had headers that would fit right. I ended up butchering these three tubes to make the best I could.

Reactions: 2 users

CartmanTD

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Sep 8, 2012
Catonsville, Maryland
image.jpeg
Here's a 73 406 Pontiac motor in my 88 MCSS. Fits nicely. I had a small issue with the block mounts clearing the clamshell mounts, but a little trimming and everything was fine.

Reactions: 2 users

deanlemans81

G-Body Guru
Sep 7, 2010
Acton Vale, Quebec, Canada
I used a 75 block for mine with the 301 mounts and it dropped right in. it's all the accessories that drove me batty. finally runs nice and sounds awesome.

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
If your transmission is a BOP pattern, then the 400 will bolt up. That doesn't mean it will survive, but it will bolt up. Then all you really need is motor mounts and perches for a '78- '81 Pontiac 301/265 in a G-body. Start looking because they are getting scarce.

• Informative
Reactions: 1 user

buick7332

Master Mechanic
Oct 21, 2014
N.E. Philadelphia area
i have a 83 g/p with a v-6 i want to put a 400_72 model in it what all does it intell
I used a 73 400 Pontiac block in my 82 grand prix. You will need 301 mounts and probably a 301 air cleaner so you can close your hood. I didn't want headers so I used 75 trans am exaust manifolds. They fit right in. You will need brackets, some wire harness modifications, and you will have to move the battery to the left side. You also will probably want to eliminate the ECM. Good luck

86GP2+2

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jul 6, 2015
Louisville, KY
I'm still working on it, but here's a 400 block in my 86 2+2. In still screwing with the headers, but I got the g body specific ones from mad dog headers. They will fit once I figure out how to get all the bolts tight on the passenger side. I have a 72 block. It's been bored and stroked to 467. I just used stock Pontiac V8 pad mounts. The brackets for the engine are specific also, has to be the short ones or it won't fit.
20161115_210032.jpg

Reactions: 3 users

L67ss

Royal Smart Person
Dec 8, 2016
I'm still working on it, but here's a 400 block in my 86 2+2. In still screwing with the headers, but I got the g body specific ones from mad dog headers. They will fit once I figure out how to get all the bolts tight on the passenger side. I have a 72 block. It's been bored and stroked to 467. I just used stock Pontiac V8 pad mounts. The brackets for the engine are specific also, has to be the short ones or it won't fit. View attachment 60936
That is a long hose lol

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor