1970's Ford 302 for a boat, ignition help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jshock

Apprentice
Jan 12, 2013
Port Orchard, WA
Hello all, first off thanks for the help. I am working on a friends boat with a 70's ford 302 no later than 1975 block. The distributor is not the duraspark II but it doesn't have points either. The coil cap and rotor all all new. Power to coil, bench test shows spark. Install in distributor and check, no spark. I'm pretty sure it's the solid state module tucked in the bottom but how do I test it and does anyone have specs I could use? I have a pro subscription to AllData and Mitchell both but all data locked me out and Mitchell doesn't have anything useable unless I pay extra for the "vintage" section. Please help, I am lost because I don't wanna throw a module at it but I'm sure that's the problem

DRIVEN

Geezer
Apr 25, 2009
*CENSORED*
In my limited experience, I would suspect it's a module. They really aren't that expensive (under $20 on Rockauto) but you can probably have it tested at some auto parts stores. Being a boat, corrosion is always a fight. Check all the connectors and grounds first. I can't remember ever replacing a pick-up on an old Ford but I've replaced a couple control modules.

bill

Royal Smart Person
Jul 11, 2008
southside va/lake gaston
DRIVEN said:
In my limited experience, I would suspect it's a module. They really aren't that expensive (under $20 on Rockauto) but you can probably have it tested at some auto parts stores. Being a boat, corrosion is always a fight. Check all the connectors and grounds first. I can't remember ever replacing a pick-up on an old Ford but I've replaced a couple control modules.
x10 on this.... and I would add that using points and condenser isnt always a bad way to go on boats with v-8's in them because they arent as delicate or as hard to diagnose. Just my two cents.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor