1973 Chevy Parts Hauler

Wraith

G-Body Guru
Jan 13, 2013
DFW, TX
I've never been a full time truck guy, I've always borrowed, rented, or owned slammed trucks but with home ownership plus projects running all the time a truck would be a good idea. Money spent on a truck of course could be spent on current or new projects so it would have to be cheap. I've been driving by this truck for the last 5 years since we bought our house but a couple weeks ago the house it sat behind went up for sale and that prompted me to stop and inquire about the forlorn truck.

It was a 1973 Chevy C20 and the owner told me he bought it brand new in 1973 and used it to pull horse trailers and eventually the original 454/th400 needed work so his son pulled it and went with a rebuilt th350 and a new 350 crate engine then drove it for about 13K miles before it had a rod knock and Chevy wouldn't honor the warranty so it was parked. In 2002.

pontiacgp

Canadian Prime Minister
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
I like those old trucks and that one looks to be in great shape with an upgraded back bumper. aluminum tool box and a trailer brake controller. You won't have any trouble dropping any motor in the huge engine bay. That is a nice find.

Ribbedroof

Royal Smart Person
Jan 4, 2009
Wellston, OK
Nothing says Oklahoma/Texas like those gawdawful cowboy bumpers

Truck looks pretty good, though, and hard to go wrong with a 3/4 ton or better....SO much better than half ton if you really USE a truck.

Wraith

G-Body Guru
Jan 13, 2013
DFW, TX
So today I drug it home the couple blocks away and did a little cleaning.

After a couple shots of degreaser and the hose

I knew it had a new Edelbrock Q-jet but the Performer intake was a surprise.

Paint is hashed but looks okay after a quick buff

Ribbedroof

Royal Smart Person
Jan 4, 2009
Wellston, OK
Cleaning up nicely!

Wraith

G-Body Guru
Jan 13, 2013
DFW, TX
I like those old trucks and that one looks to be in great shape with an upgraded back bumper. aluminum tool box and a trailer brake controller. You won't have any trouble dropping any motor in the huge engine bay. That is a nice find.
I'm hoping for the best and that it has the same problem damn near all crate motors have, a broken flexplate. Cheap and easy fix and would get it back on the road on the cheap. I may keep my eyes open for a newer gen IV big block for later.

Nothing says Oklahoma/Texas like those gawdawful cowboy bumpers

Truck looks pretty good, though, and hard to go wrong with a 3/4 ton or better....SO much better than half ton if you really USE a truck.
I really wanted a truck for it to be a truck so it was perfect that it was a long bed and a 3/4 ton otherwise I tend to slam short wides and make cars out of them.

ck80

G-Body Guru
Feb 18, 2014
Just wondering... does it have a wood bed? Some of the early 70s square bodies had wood floors in a long fleetside instead of the metal. I always ask these days...

Otherwise it looks like a nice rig, lots of work left in it and way to clean to keep sitting.