1973 Chevy Parts Hauler

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wraith

Royal Smart Person
Jan 13, 2013
DFW, TX
I've never been a full time truck guy, I've always borrowed, rented, or owned slammed trucks but with home ownership plus projects running all the time a truck would be a good idea. Money spent on a truck of course could be spent on current or new projects so it would have to be cheap. I've been driving by this truck for the last 5 years since we bought our house but a couple weeks ago the house it sat behind went up for sale and that prompted me to stop and inquire about the forlorn truck.

It was a 1973 Chevy C20 and the owner told me he bought it brand new in 1973 and used it to pull horse trailers and eventually the original 454/th400 needed work so his son pulled it and went with a rebuilt th350 and a new 350 crate engine then drove it for about 13K miles before it had a rod knock and Chevy wouldn't honor the warranty so it was parked. In 2002.

Reactions: 8 users

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
I like those old trucks and that one looks to be in great shape with an upgraded back bumper. aluminum tool box and a trailer brake controller. You won't have any trouble dropping any motor in the huge engine bay. That is a nice find.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

Ribbedroof

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Jan 4, 2009
Wellston, OK
Nothing says Oklahoma/Texas like those gawdawful cowboy bumpers

Truck looks pretty good, though, and hard to go wrong with a 3/4 ton or better....SO much better than half ton if you really USE a truck.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

Wraith

Royal Smart Person
Jan 13, 2013
DFW, TX
So today I drug it home the couple blocks away and did a little cleaning.

After a couple shots of degreaser and the hose

I knew it had a new Edelbrock Q-jet but the Performer intake was a surprise.

Paint is hashed but looks okay after a quick buff

• Winner
Reactions: 11 users

Ribbedroof

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Jan 4, 2009
Wellston, OK
Cleaning up nicely!

• Agree
Reactions: 4 users

Wraith

Royal Smart Person
Jan 13, 2013
DFW, TX
I like those old trucks and that one looks to be in great shape with an upgraded back bumper. aluminum tool box and a trailer brake controller. You won't have any trouble dropping any motor in the huge engine bay. That is a nice find.

I'm hoping for the best and that it has the same problem damn near all crate motors have, a broken flexplate. Cheap and easy fix and would get it back on the road on the cheap. I may keep my eyes open for a newer gen IV big block for later.

Nothing says Oklahoma/Texas like those gawdawful cowboy bumpers

Truck looks pretty good, though, and hard to go wrong with a 3/4 ton or better....SO much better than half ton if you really USE a truck.

I really wanted a truck for it to be a truck so it was perfect that it was a long bed and a 3/4 ton otherwise I tend to slam short wides and make cars out of them.

• Agree
Reactions: 4 users

old80cs

G-Body Guru
Jun 27, 2013
Massachusetts
Cleaned up pretty well, I like that era, clean and simple. Hope you can get it running without too much trouble.

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users

ck80

Supporting Member
Feb 18, 2014
Just wondering... does it have a wood bed? Some of the early 70s square bodies had wood floors in a long fleetside instead of the metal. I always ask these days...

Otherwise it looks like a nice rig, lots of work left in it and way to clean to keep sitting.

O. D. Showtime

Comic Book Super Hero
Feb 6, 2009
Regina Sask. Canada
Nice find...looks pretty decent!

For many years all I drove were trucks....had several square bodies.

Reactions: 1 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor