1978 lemans fuse box

Status
Not open for further replies.

dadep76

Greasemonkey
May 11, 2021
Hi. My 78 lemans fuse box is unreadable. Are all gbody fuse boxes interchangeable? Will other gbody box plug into my harness under steering column?

Attachments

• 20210519_094725.jpg
    20210519_094725.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 250
Reactions: 1 user

g0thiac

G-Body Guru
Sep 6, 2020
Hi. My 78 lemans fuse box is unreadable. Are all gbody fuse boxes interchangeable? Will other gbody box plug into my harness under steering column?
Most are swappable, if reading the fusebox is your only concern there are photographs and diagrams you can use too, which makes its easy to know what each fuse goes to where.

Reactions: 1 users

Ugly1

Royal Smart Person
Oct 26, 2021
Lost in the woods of NH
You have to kind of stay within the years of the car to switch just the interior part of the box. 1978 to 1981and 1982 to 1987 I believe. Then if it is gauges or lights makes a difference for how the dash is pined ( where the plugs line up in the gauge cluster). The connectors are different as to the later years have molded tabs that won’t let you fix the earlier years. Whether you can shave them off and have it work I don’t know.

Change in the boxes start when the moved the wiper switch to the steering column.

Better if you can find a diagram picture or a owner’s manual for the car. Even a Motors Manual may have the diagram.

dadep76

Greasemonkey
May 11, 2021
Most are swappable, if reading the fusebox is your only concern there are photographs and diagrams you can use too, which makes its easy to know what each fuse goes to where.
Yeah i tried to diagram and found out theres no fuse holders behind to hold fuses. I only have dash lights w autometer gauges, electric fans plugged into ignition on a mysterious fuse. Lol. I just thought i would be easier to swap for a box i could read and have all the fuse holders where they need to be.

Ugly1

Royal Smart Person
Oct 26, 2021
Lost in the woods of NH
Yeah i tried to diagram and found out theres no fuse holders behind to hold fuses. I only have dash lights w autometer gauges, electric fans plugged into ignition on a mysterious fuse. Lol. I just thought i would be easier to swap for a box i could read and have all the fuse holders where they need to be.
It’s never as simple as we hope for, believe me. I had the whole dash out and that’s how I found out the hard way. I’ve got a nearly complete 1980 Monte Carlo wiring harness dash to tail lights, but I’m up in NH. It has no location writing on it as well.
image.jpg
image.jpg

Last edited:

Ugly1

Royal Smart Person
Oct 26, 2021
Lost in the woods of NH
Other than that a test light and see what is live with the key on. You should have power at the electric window plug. Every spot that has a placement for a fuse one side will (should be) a live connector.

dadep76

Greasemonkey
May 11, 2021
It’s never as simple as we hope for, believe me. I had the whole dash out and that’s how I found out the hard way. I’ve got a nearly complete 1980 Monte Carlo wiring harness dash to tail lights, but I’m up in NH. It has no location writing on it as well. View attachment 188582 View attachment 188583
Yeah it sucks. Lol. I mite try to get a aftermarket box and try to get a harness from american auto wire.

dadep76

Greasemonkey
May 11, 2021
Yeah it sucks. Lol. I mite try to get a aftermarket box and try to get a harness from american auto wire.
I see your box atleast has the holders for fuses. Mine dont have them. Only empty holes. Lol

Reactions: 1 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor