1978 Malibu Project, 4th times a charm

Wraith

Royal Smart Person
Jan 13, 2013
DFW, TX
How are the Speedteck Chicane coil over brackets used? I googled them, but I'm not clear on how they are installed and why?

Why SSR's if you aren't pulsing them? Is there an advantage to them over a stock 4 or 5 pin relay?

I still haven't made it through the 1st 6 pages, what's your intention with the car? Race mostly, street and show mostly?
I'm using the Chicane brackets because I am not a fan of the coilover hybrid setup with the short spring/short shock body. With these you cut out the standard top shock mount, weld these in, and use a standard style eye to eye coilover body, lots of options available to drop in. SSR's because I've had problems with standard relays before.

Function for the car? I'd say 50% Street, 50% Race, but trying to build in adjustability and future proof anything I'm doing, as much as possible.

Reactions: 3 users

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
I'm using the Chicane brackets because I am not a fan of the coilover hybrid setup with the short spring/short shock body. With these you cut out the standard top shock mount, weld these in, and use a standard style eye to eye coilover body, lots of options available to drop in. SSR's because I've had problems with standard relays before.

Function for the car? I'd say 50% Street, 50% Race, but trying to build in adjustability and future proof anything I'm doing, as much as possible.
Ahh. looking forward to pics of them installed.

A 4 port gives a much larger range with very low resolution whereas a 3 port has great resolution, but limited range. The idea of being able to double the spring pressure with a 3 port - if you want 18-25 bs, sometimes half of that is too much. Either way, Mac valves are cheap and easy to re-plumb if you ever want to change from a 3 port to 4 port or to dual 3 ports with dome control.

Hope you back on your feet, literally, soon and get some more pics and progress - good luck - Jim

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

Wraith

Royal Smart Person
Jan 13, 2013
DFW, TX
Today's parts order:

4g battery cable ends
2g battery cable ends
Timing cover/oil pump/seal alignment tools
ATI crank pin drill fixture
Holley 6.86" Pro Dash

After the last haul and this, it burns all my credit card points I've been saving for car parts on Amazon. Time to raid the garage and start selling off extra stashed goods to keep this train rolling, luckily the list has gotten shorter.

• Haha
Reactions: 6 users

JAMCAR223

Royal Smart Person
Jun 6, 2014
Houston, TX.
Today's parts order:

4g battery cable ends
2g battery cable ends
Timing cover/oil pump/seal alignment tools
ATI crank pin drill fixture
Holley 6.86" Pro Dash

After the last haul and this, it burns all my credit card points I've been saving for car parts on Amazon. Time to raid the garage and start selling off extra stashed goods to keep this train rolling, luckily the list has gotten shorter.
Keep that train a rollin... Your purchases are my job security :ROFLMAO:

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users

Wraith

Royal Smart Person
Jan 13, 2013
DFW, TX
So I grabbed a spare short tail TH400 plus a brand new Autokraft LS oil pan, stuff from his abandoned Volvo LS swap, also bought the car plus fully recovered interior with Recaro seats. Earlier in the year I had grabbed some stuff from the same buddy GM LS performance heads(one beat up cylinder but fixable), Gen IV rods and pistons, and I have a complete Gen III 5.3 bottom end already. Also got a deal on a Gen V 30K mile, L83 5.3 complete with all wiring and accessories, earlier this year.

Definitely getting engine/parts rich.

Already had a deal with another buddy that has a 5.3/4L60E swapped Volvo wagon(for sale if you know anyone). He's buying the 1979 242GT coupe, the interior, and my L83. We are buying a C5 4L60E transaxle/Diff and swapping it into the coupe, should be a fun build, he has a great eye for details.

Do I dare add I bought a nice 2006 Porsche Boxster with 56K miles earlier this year that needs a clutch/flywheel that I haven't got to?

Hi, I'm Jon and I have a car addiction problem. :LOL:

• Haha

JAMCAR223

Royal Smart Person
Jun 6, 2014
Houston, TX.
So I grabbed a spare short tail TH400 plus a brand new Autokraft LS oil pan, stuff from his abandoned Volvo LS swap, also bought the car plus fully recovered interior with Recaro seats. Earlier in the year I had grabbed some stuff from the same buddy GM LS performance heads(one beat up cylinder but fixable), Gen IV rods and pistons, and I have a complete Gen III 5.3 bottom end already. Also got a deal on a Gen V 30K mile, L83 5.3 complete with all wiring and accessories, earlier this year.

Definitely getting engine/parts rich.

Already had a deal with another buddy that has a 5.3/4L60E swapped Volvo wagon(for sale if you know anyone). He's buying the 1979 242GT coupe, the interior, and my L83. We are buying a C5 4L60E transaxle/Diff and swapping it into the coupe, should be a fun build, he has a great eye for details.

Do I dare add I bought a nice 2006 Porsche Boxster with 56K miles earlier this year that needs a clutch/flywheel that I haven't got to?

Hi, I'm Jon and I have a car addiction problem. :LOL:
You know the 1st step to recovery, is admitting you have a problem. :ROFLMAO:

I have (7) and would have more, if I had the space.

Reactions: 1 user

Wraith

Royal Smart Person
Jan 13, 2013
DFW, TX
You know the 1st step to recovery, is admitting you have a problem. :ROFLMAO:

I have (7) and would have more, if I had the space.
I knew I was an addict when I lived in one state with two cars and owned three other cars in two other states. At another point I had plenty of storage and 9 cars, wife knew about three. It was a dangerous game but I can't pass up a deal.

• Haha

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
I knew I was an addict when I lived in one state with two cars and owned three other cars in two other states. At another point I had plenty of storage and 9 cars, wife knew about three. It was a dangerous game but I can't pass up a deal.
I can relate, but to motors and turbos - don't tell my wife that I bought another turbo. Wife : whose motor is that", me : 'oooh, does it matter?' wife : 'it's not yours is it?', me : 'no, already have 3 spares and 4 more in the shed, what do I need another for?'.

Wraith

Royal Smart Person
Jan 13, 2013
DFW, TX
I can relate, but to motors and turbos - don't tell my wife that I bought another turbo. Wife : whose motor is that", me : 'oooh, does it matter?' wife : 'it's not yours is it?', me : 'no, already have 3 spares and 4 more in the shed, what do I need another for?'.
I have kicked around other turbos for my build BUT I'm now pushing to get it running instead of spending years trying to "build" the best. I do believe in Build, Race, Break, Repeat so I guess I'm warming up to the "Send it!" ethos. The next couple months are going to be grueling with hunting season, a slammed schedule at work, and wanting to at least drive the car down the street by January 1st. You know plus the 1969 Camaro build that's in the garage. :blam:

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor