1978 Malibu Project, 4th times a charm

Wraith

Royal Smart Person
Jan 13, 2013
DFW, TX
Today a brief encounter with fuel parts after a trip to Summit Racing and a rando purchase of AN wrenches

And do remember(I forgot) that I am using PTFE line which you are supposed to go up one size but I don't think the -12 fuel filter will ever restrict me. Ever.

Reactions: 4 users

Wraith

Royal Smart Person
Jan 13, 2013
DFW, TX
Strange chrome moly yoke was installed this weekend along with a new seal, all verified with my Amazon 1/4" torque wrench at give or take 10 in/lbs. Made all my measurements for a new driveshaft just need to play with critical speed calculations to determine what material, aluminum or carbon fiber, then get Precision Shaft Technologies to build it.

Ran down to Summit yesterday morning to grab parts for the Mercury and grabbed another Supelite wheel from the discount center for $101 after Black Friday discount. Time to switch the front brakes to Ford pattern that way I only need one spare tire.

Reactions: 3 users

Wraith

Royal Smart Person
Jan 13, 2013
DFW, TX
Fresh, post Christmas gift to self arrived, new 6 piston with 12" drilled rotors from Wilwood. Time to get working on front wheel fitment by cramming a 17 x 9.5 under the front, next up front ride height and coilovers.

• Winner
  • Love
Reactions: 7 users

Streetbu

Know it all, that doesn't
Supporting Member
May 22, 2011
Central NY
17x9.5 should be easy. 5.25" backspacing works for me

Reactions: 2 users

Streetbu

Know it all, that doesn't
Supporting Member
May 22, 2011
Central NY
What size tire did you use? I'm hoping to go 275/40/17 all the way around and I'm willing to slice and dice to get there.
I'm running 275/35/18. No rubbing at all. You shouldn't have any issues running those tires as long as you get the backspacing correct. Oh and I haven't paid attention to what your using for suspension. You MUST run tall upper balljoints. This corrects the camber curve and stops the tire from contacting the inner fender under compression.

Reactions: 2 users

Wraith

Royal Smart Person
Jan 13, 2013
DFW, TX
I'm running 275/35/18. No rubbing at all. You shouldn't have any issues running those tires as long as you get the backspacing correct. Oh and I haven't paid attention to what your using for suspension. You MUST run tall upper balljoints. This corrects the camber curve and stops the tire from contacting the inner fender under compression.
UB Machine top arms with tall ball joints are the current mix, subject to change, maybe.

Reactions: 1 user

Wraith

Royal Smart Person
Jan 13, 2013
DFW, TX
Yep, this will work

One small problem is the Wilwood hubs are slightly bigger than the wheel hub diameter, front wheels will have to be opened up for them to pass through, no biggie as the Wilwood hubs look like a center cap anyway.

New VS stock

Reactions: 9 users

RAGINGMALIBU

RAGINGMALIBU
Jun 4, 2014
TEXAS
Man, I'm invested here AND you're in my neighborhood TOO! You're doing great work and I like where this thing is headed.

Reactions: 1 users

Wraith

Royal Smart Person
Jan 13, 2013
DFW, TX
Need to get ride height set but I am using the SpeedTech Chicane upper coilover mounts, time to cut.

Next up is to borrow a plasma cutter from work to increase the hole in the frame for the coilovers. One thing I'm not really happy about is the brand new rubber upper ball joint boots are shot, never been ran or out of garage, have to order some upgraded boots to replace these.

Reactions: 5 users

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor