1978 Malibu rear end to 84 El Camino

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 29, 2013
I found a 1978 Malibu rear end and I want to rebuild it and put it in my 1984 El Camino. With 3.73 gears. I think I will have to put the thicker ring & pinion gears in. When I look up 1978 Malibu it is an A-body and my 84 Elk is a G-body. The external measurements look the same. When I look on line for the gears they show me from 78 to 81 is one gear and from 82 to 78 or 99 is something else. Is it just be cause of the Carrier ? I will be using #2 carrier 26 spline. Thanks Tim PS if anyone has a late 80's SS Monte Carlo 3.73 rear end for sale let me know.

SmoknMali

Apprentice
Jan 14, 2013
Yep...there are different carriers for g bodys...You can use rearends out of other cars...8.8 is a popular one...just a lil work but fairly simple.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor