1978 Malibu - Worth the high price?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BOXCARS

Master Mechanic
Apr 29, 2017
A friend of mine just got $15,000 cash for his 81 Malibu frame off, from a muscle car consigner company that sold his car for closer to $20K. You could eat off the frame. :eek:

Attachments

• Picture 086.jpg
    Picture 086.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 225
  • Picture 087.jpg
    Picture 087.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 227
  • Picture 088.jpg
    Picture 088.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 245
Reactions: 1 users

UNGN

Comic Book Super Hero
Sep 6, 2016
Southlake, TX
A friend of mine just got $15,000 cash for his 81 Malibu frame off, from a muscle car consigner company that sold his car for closer to $20K. You could eat off the frame. :eek:

$8,500 and then pay some to add Serpentine belts, A/C, big brakes, big wheels/tires, suspension, 4 speed auto and you could be very close to $15K and have a 13 year old resto instead of a fresh "frame off".

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
I'd even see if the seller has a paper trail of everything done & purchased for it to justify the price. Where in Pa is it?

• Agree

BOXCARS

Master Mechanic
Apr 29, 2017
Hey, forgot the car consignor made a sale video to describe my friend's Malibu he collected $15,000 for ....

Ribbedroof

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Jan 4, 2009
Wellston, OK
On the one hand, they're not getting any cheaper as time passes, and the quality of the available pool of unmolested cars seems to be declining

On the other hand, it depends on what your final goal is. If the build suits you and the car is solid, the price is probably "fair"...not great, but not ebay crazy.

For me, there are things that I would hate about it right away. Minor stuff, but makes me wonder what kind of quality went into the build...painted hood hinges/springs/hood underside (these make it look like an Earl Scheib to me) , universal flex hose on radiator,rally wheels, black headlamp bezels, and the worst of all....fuzzy dice!

I have to keep reminding myself that it's not 1990 anymore, these cars are no longer cheap to buy, especially one that is either showroom fresh or has been "hot rodded".

ItsnotaGN

G-Body Guru
May 28, 2016
Colorado
"Some say he actually prefers his cars with downgraded suspension and no AC. All we know is he's called the Stig"

Clutch

Geezer
Apr 7, 2017
Brick NJ
The cool thing about The G-BODY line is making them what you want don't hurt there value

• Agree

malibujustin

Master Mechanic
Mar 11, 2017
I think like what was said earlier...depends on how much you want it and are willing to pay. Also condition plays an important part when you get to that kind of money imo. I paid $900 for the 80 I got for my son. It's a Father-son project so 900 was worth it to me for that. Needs some work. Roof, dash, floors, and a dent. Other fenders are in good shape and frame is solid. V6 and turbo 350 work good. But anyway it just depends on what you want to pay. Good examples seem to be scarce around here. Or they are on dragstrip. My pop has a 66ss that he bought new. 396 4 speed. All original except for intake and rims. But he still has original intake and wheel covers that came on car. Now the car is priceless to him, but he has had offers from 30000 to 50000. Again it goes back to what your willing to pay and condition. I know you probably wouldn't pay that kind of cash for a rust bucket or chopped up one, but it looks clean to me. Done rambling. Just my .02 cents.

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users

motorheadmike

Geezer
Nov 18, 2009
Saskatchewan, Truckistan

If that is a $15-20K car with the most mundane of custom work done - I really am curious if Hagerty took me seriously when I told my broker it would cost $44K CDN to replicate our wagon with things that the Summit and JC Whitney catalogue didn`t barf up. Sure it is clean, but damn is it uninspiring; and definitely fit for auction. FWIW, we got $14.5K CDN for our Turbo T last year. Granted that car had a pedigree - but was also ridden hard and put away wet (and was showing that it had a 10 year old restoration) in the 16 years I had it.

You do not get into G-bodies to make money (if you actually drive them). Buy a nice base vehicle and build it into your own.

ZZ4 - LOL...

Hey, forgot the car consignor made a sale video to describe my friend's Malibu he collected $15,000 for ....

Attachments

• 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    112.1 KB · Views: 214
  • Agree
Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor