1978 Pontiac Grand Prix SJ 350 Olds build

Status
Not open for further replies.

350gp

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Mar 4, 2021
Hello, I am pretty new to this forum so to say the least, I own a 1978 Pontiac Grand Prix SJ with a 350 Olds (not the diesel) but unfortunately it hasn't started in about 15 years or so. I've just picked up on this project because it was my dad's originally but about 2 years ago he passed and now I'm dedicated to basically fixing this car. I'm very young so I know i have the time but unfortunately I do not have the money. I do work a part time job at the moment but I only make so much to help support my mom to keep a roof over my head so i never have the opportunity to save money strictly for my car. I have started a gofundme to maybe collect the fund needed for me to get the car started and running on the streets once again. So, I'm asking you fellow G-body owners/enthusiasts, if you could at the very least share the gofundme or perhaps even donate, it would truly mean everything to me. Anyways, much love, and cannot wait to show a better pic of my car on this forum. No its no longer sitting in a back yard just fyi and it is a lot cleaner now because its an old picture. gf.me/u/zk6nm2

Attachments

• 20190708_180936.jpg
    20190708_180936.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 301
  • IMG_20210113_115759058.jpg
    IMG_20210113_115759058.jpg
    3.9 MB · Views: 203

350gp

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Mar 4, 2021
Hello, I am pretty new to this forum so to say the least, I own a 1978 Pontiac Grand Prix SJ with a 350 Olds (not the diesel) but unfortunately it hasn't started in about 15 years or so. I've just picked up on this project because it was my dad's originally but about 2 years ago he passed and now I'm dedicated to basically fixing this car. I'm very young so I know i have the time but unfortunately I do not have the money. I do work a part time job at the moment but I only make so much to help support my mom to keep a roof over my head so i never have the opportunity to save money strictly for my car. I have started a gofundme to maybe collect the fund needed for me to get the car started and running on the streets once again. So, I'm asking you fellow G-body owners/enthusiasts, if you could at the very least share the gofundme or perhaps even donate, it would truly mean everything to me. Anyways, much love, and cannot wait to show a better pic of my car on this forum. No its no longer sitting in a back yard just fyi and it is a lot cleaner now because its an old picture. gf.me/u/zk6nm2
and im pretty sure its a 5.7l 350 olds under the hood, but can someone verify it for me please?

JAMCAR223

Royal Smart Person
Jun 6, 2014
Houston, TX.
It is an Oldsmobile motor. To see what exactly you have, check the block's ID#, and Google it. The number is on top of the block. In the picture you posted it will be just under the top radiator hose, to the right of the oil filler tube ( red cap ). What I highly suggest you do, while you gather the money to start this project, is clean the leaves off the cowl area ( windshield ). This is an area prone to rust, and the leaves are trapping dirt & moisture, which is not good. You can clean out the gas tank. 15 year old fuel is not what you want when trying to get a car running again. It takes (4) bolts, and a couple hose clamps to remove it. Youtube videos will show you how to do it. Take the seats out of the car (13mm) and clean, clean, clean the interior. Get under the car ( USE JACKSTANDS! ) and check for rust in the floors, and on the frame. See what you have to work with. Borrow a battery from a running car, and see if the motor will turn over... check the electrical system ( lights, signals, horn, power windows, locks, radio, etc. ). Again, see what you have to work with. Remember that most large auto parts stores have a Loaner Tool Program. This will come in handy for specialty tools you can't afford at this time. These cars are Metric, so be sure you have Metric sockets & wrenches. I have been working on cars for 40 years, and I still ask my friends for help. I still use the Loaner Tool Program. I still use Youtube for tutorials. This is one of the best automotive Forums on the internet... period. The guys here are very knowledgeable on these cars. Ask a specific question, and you will get answers, but you have to get in there... get your hands dirty, and learn. The best advise I can give you... Plan your work & work your plan. Welcome to the Forum. Good luck with your project.

Reactions: 3 users

350gp

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Mar 4, 2021
It is an Oldsmobile motor. To see what exactly you have, check the block's ID#, and Google it. The number is on top of the block. In the picture you posted it will be just under the top radiator hose, to the right of the oil filler tube ( red cap ). What I highly suggest you do, while you gather the money to start this project, is clean the leaves off the cowl area ( windshield ). This is an area prone to rust, and the leaves are trapping dirt & moisture, which is not good. You can clean out the gas tank. 15 year old fuel is not what you want when trying to get a car running again. It takes (4) bolts, and a couple hose clamps to remove it. Youtube videos will show you how to do it. Take the seats out of the car (13mm) and clean, clean, clean the interior. Get under the car ( USE JACKSTANDS! ) and check for rust in the floors, and on the frame. See what you have to work with. Borrow a battery from a running car, and see if the motor will turn over... check the electrical system ( lights, signals, horn, power windows, locks, radio, etc. ). Again, see what you have to work with. Remember that most large auto parts stores have a Loaner Tool Program. This will come in handy for specialty tools you can't afford at this time. These cars are Metric, so be sure you have Metric sockets & wrenches. I have been working on cars for 40 years, and I still ask my friends for help. I still use the Loaner Tool Program. I still use Youtube for tutorials. This is one of the best automotive Forums on the internet... period. The guys here are very knowledgeable on these cars. Ask a specific question, and you will get answers, but you have to get in there... get your hands dirty, and learn. The best advise I can give you... Plan your work & work your plan. Welcome to the Forum. Good luck with your project.
Thank you for the warm welcome. I did a few months back clean the cars interior and got all those leaves and even washed the body to the best of my ability. I can relate about using only youtube tutorials and such. There has been some rust collecting on the frame. I need help specifically right now trying to understand how to crank the engine because i do not believe the proper wirings are connected to where ever they need to be. See, before i was given the car my dad had a tendency to take parts out assuming we wanted to put new ones in, but never had the time to do so. For godsake when i started this project, the starter was just loosely sitting on the fender inside the hood. (I already have bought a new one and have installed it). So if someone could explain to me, or show me a chart on how these connections work I would seriously appreciate it. Oh and side note, there is no gas tank at the moment but im working on it! also i've already drained the oil and put in some new oil to keep things lubricated in that engine

303'505rollin

G-Body Guru
Sep 4, 2020
Colorado2newmexico
Welcome to the site, there are lots of great peeps here to get advice and knowledge from. Sorry about your loss my dad passed in April last year, its sucks. If funds are not available start by cleaning up your ride, soggy wet leaves are bad they start to cause rust and mildew

Reactions: 1 user

350gp

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Mar 4, 2021
So the engine that i specifically have is a olds 350 from 68-74. The block's ID# is 39555-2. Also as a quick question about exhaust headers, should I get the headers originally for the 78 gp, or should I get the headers that so specific to my engine? So sorry these questions may seem dumb but I'm learning

Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
G body Cutlass for the Olds 350 for headers. What is the big number by #1 and #8 spark plugs?

79 GP 4 speed

Master Mechanic
Nov 12, 2017
Where are you located as someone on here close to you maybe able to come over and give you a hand.

lilbowtie

Comic Book Super Hero
Jan 7, 2006
Canton Mi
Welcome - looks like you have quite a project and hopefully you will find it's a solid car. Right now google and a shop manual will be your best friends and of course you can reach out to the site. You probably what to find out if the engine is any good - first thing I would do is make sure it's not stuck. Since the wires are all off I would pull the distributor and prime it since it's been 15 years(just me). All good advice above but take one thing at a time. No need to be worried about exhaust (headers) when you don't know if the engine is good and might be changing. Good luck !! I do like that Plymouth.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor