1978 pontiac LeMans parts

Status
Not open for further replies.

mark r sundberg

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Feb 11, 2016
I am the proud owner of a 1978 pontiac lemans,the car has been in the family since new and was handed down to me.the original 231 v-6 blew up in 1998 and the car has been sitting since,i recently pulled it out of the garage to bring it back to life.my engine choice is a chevy 350/350 hp,turbo 400 trans and im going to utilize a grand national rear end,full new black interior with console and buckets and as time and money permit,new paint.any help locating parts as these cars are getting harder to find would be helpful
FB_IMG_1453678441610.jpg
FB_IMG_1453678462912.jpg

vanrah

G-Body Guru
Apr 16, 2013
Near Afton, Wisconsin
Welcome Mark; Nice color & my favorite "A-G" body! As I've been lead to believe our cars were still "A" cars built on the new for 78 "A" platform. Correct me if I'm wrong, but the "G" designation started in 1981?? I had tried to order a Grand Am in 79, but couldn't get the Chevy engine so I ended up with the Bronze Brick. Only to be told many years later had I ordered the Hi-altitude option I could of had the Chevy engine? Anyway if I can influence you (it's your car so do as you like), Don't make it into another drag themed "G" car! You'll will kill any collector value, as so many guys have went down that path. I may be bias (understatement), Do a Touring themed car. One you can drive anywhere (Power Tour - Car Craft Nat's - Route 66 Jamboree), you'll have more Fun over a longer period of time. Oh don't change the color, just my $.02 cents. Take care & good luck, Bob Jr.
Ps: Where are you from?

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
Welcome aboard Mark,
Thanks for sharing your plans and history of your car. The body looks like it's in nice shape.

mark r sundberg

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Feb 11, 2016
Welcome Mark; Nice color & my favorite "A-G" body! As I've been lead to believe our cars were still "A" cars built on the new for 78 "A" platform. Correct me if I'm wrong, but the "G" designation started in 1981?? I had tried to order a Grand Am in 79, but couldn't get the Chevy engine so I ended up with the Bronze Brick. Only to be told many years later had I ordered the Hi-altitude option I could of had the Chevy engine? Anyway if I can influence you (it's your car so do as you like), Don't make it into another drag themed "G" car! You'll will kill any collector value, as so many guys have went down that path. I may be bias (understatement), Do a Touring themed car. One you can drive anywhere (Power Tour - Car Craft Nat's - Route 66 Jamboree), you'll have more Fun over a longer period of time. Oh don't change the color, just my $.02 cents. Take care & good luck, Bob Jr.
Ps: Where are you from?
I have no plans on making it a drag car,it was my grandmas car and ive always liked it even tho it was as plain as could be,roll down windows,bench seat and mini moon hubcaps,the only option it had was a factory clock my uncle bought her for mothers day.the color im optional on,i like the color it is,but i also like the grand am lay out of black with the desert gold on the bottom.and i thought you could order police options in 78 which would give it a chevy 350.ive always wanted to power the car with a pontiac motor,a 389 w a tri power,but those engines are hard to find,expensive to buy and build

Longroof79

Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
Mark,
I hope you don't ruin that hood by installing that cowl induction scoop.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

oldtinsmith

Royal Smart Person
Jun 14, 2010
Auburn, Michigan
Mark, welcome from mid-Michigan. I'm really liking the color and simplistic look! I've had a couple of 78 Grand Am's and have a complete front clip off of one (with the doors) to be installed on my 80 El Camino.

Doug

Reactions: 1 user

mark r sundberg

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Feb 11, 2016
Mark, welcome from mid-Michigan. I'm really liking the color and simplistic look! I've had a couple of 78 Grand Am's and have a complete front clip off of one (with the doors) to be installed on my 80 El Camino.

Doug
Im liking that rendering,and always wanted to do a lemans/el camino truck

Reactions: 1 user

Longroof79

Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor