1979 4 speed cutlass calais

Status
Not open for further replies.

Csilvy2000

Master Mechanic
Mar 14, 2012
Texarkana, AR
Hey G-body forum,

Haven't posted in quite some time. I've still been active playing with my g bodies. My current daily driver is a 1979 Cutlass Supreme that I put together. The car is clean and straight, however, it is lacking a paint job. I built the 403 that is in it along with the th200 transmission. Love it!

My most recent addition to my collection is a 1979 Oldsmobile Cutlass Calais with the 4-speed and SBC 305. It has a peg leg 3.08 rear end. Of course it has the bucket seats minus a center console. Exterior is black with a red interior. A couple of interesting options I noticed are the adjustable wipers and temperature controlled A/C adjustment. I purchased the car from an elderly gentleman that tore it apart back in 1997, due to some transmission issues.

Best I can tell I got everything to put the car back together. Again, the drivetrain is torn apart, but the parts have been well labeled and organized. The body is straight and the only rust present is some surface rust that is on the floorboards.

My question to the G-body community is, 'how many of these cars, so equipped, left the factory?' I've always wanted a manually shifted g-body and jumped at the chance to grab this one. I've searched the web for insight on production numbers. Very little information exist. Anyone got any figures? Reason I ask is it will have some bearing on the direction I want to go with the build of this car.

Thanks for any input. I know pictures are great. I'll throw some on this thread as soon as I get the chance.

Reactions: 1 users

bracketchev1221

Royal Smart Person
Jan 18, 2018
That one I would guess is one of the more rare. I think the Malibu topped the list of most produced followed by the Monte Carlo and then the Oldsmobile versions.

Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
What the heck did you upgrade in the TH200 to live behind a 403? The 4 spd car should be decent to drive with 3.08 gears. There are always subtle improvements like dual exhaust that make it perform and sound better, even it is in mint shape.

Reactions: 1 user

motorheadmike

Geezer
Nov 18, 2009
Saskatchewan, Truckistan
TH200s get used in lieu of PGs, TH350s and TH400s all the time - to save mass (static and rotating). As I understand it most of the mods from a TH200-4R trans transfer over.

• Informative

Csilvy2000

Master Mechanic
Mar 14, 2012
Texarkana, AR
That one I would guess is one of the more rare. I think the Malibu topped the list of most produced followed by the Monte Carlo and then the Oldsmobile versions.
I know I've seen one other manual in this body style but it was well over 30 years ago. When I saw this one on Craigslist, I called and asked for a good description. Told the guy I wanted the car. Bought it sight unseen and have no regrets. This must have been a good looking car when it was new. Has a lot to be desired now but I'll get her back on the road.

Csilvy2000

Master Mechanic
Mar 14, 2012
Texarkana, AR
What the heck did you upgrade in the TH200 to live behind a 403? The 4 spd car should be decent to drive with 3.08 gears. There are always subtle improvements like dual exhaust that make it perform and sound better, even it is in mint shape.
I did some researching on the web and found a couple of tips to help the little guy survive. First off was a Transgo shift kit along with new steels and frictions. The second upgrade is using a large external cooler. My intent was to use the car as a fun daily driver. I'm using a stock torque converter and retained the 2.29 rear gear.

I've put about 5000 miles on it and seems to be holding up well. I've put the little 200 through a couple of thrashings and have yet to get a whimper out of it. The fluid looks great and still gives a firm shift through the gears. I've got another little 200, me personally, wouldn't hesitate to rebuild it and put it to use. Simply to build and easy install. The two I have are considered the '76-'78 versions and do not have the lockup. The 403 I have in front of it, is no slouch.

Csilvy2000

Master Mechanic
Mar 14, 2012
Texarkana, AR
Here are some pictures of the 1979 4 speed I recently picked up.

Attachments

• IMG_1162.JPG
    IMG_1162.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 556
  • IMG_1163.JPG
    IMG_1163.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 324
  • IMG_1164.JPG
    IMG_1164.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 423
  • IMG_1166.JPG
    IMG_1166.JPG
    847.8 KB · Views: 369
  • Winner
Reactions: 6 users

Csilvy2000

Master Mechanic
Mar 14, 2012
Texarkana, AR
The car seems to have come with everything needed to put it back together. The tarp is necessary because the back glass is out. At some point during its hibernation a tree fell on the roof and busted out the glass along with putting a couple of dents in the roof.

Spent my day pulling the interior and knocking out those dents. I deteste bodywork. The bad part about these dents is their location. Everyone will notice a wave on the roof of the car if the job is rushed. I'm no professional, butI'll get it satisfactory for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor