1979 buick regal limited 4 spd manual 4 sale

Trader history for Gldngrk (0)

Red78Calais4speed

Greasemonkey
Feb 16, 2013
Leominster, Massachusetts
I'm pretty sure that the 4-speed in the 1979 Regal was only available with the 231 V6 2bbl, not the V8. The only production numbers that I've been able to come across shows that about 400 were made with this combo. A rare car but that doesn't always translate into a valuable car.

I've been watching manual transmission A/G bodies for 20 years and have only seen 2 Regals come up for sale on eBay or Craigslist:
- Oct 2012 on Springfield, IL CL car was a project, partially disassembled and stripped ready for paint, runs/drives, new springs/shocks, 100k miles $1800
- Nov 2011 on Tampa Bay CL car located in Zephyrhills, FL loaded, all original, 3.8 V6/4-speed, good paint/body $3000

I think what hurts the value of the 1978-79 manual transmission cars is they're not well known. I've owned TWO 1978 Cutlass Calais cars with the factory Chevy 305 / 4-speed combo and always drew large crowds at any local car show I attended. No one knew that a manual transmission was available for these cars. It surprised a lot of people when they saw them. I had multiple... we'll just call them "experts"... insist that it wasn't factory and that I installed the 4-spd myself. I tried showing them the original window stickers I had for both but claimed they were fake, too. Oh, well.
The 4-spd was an option for the 231 V6 in all Cutlasses in 1979.

According to the factory literature, here is a list of the possible manual transmission installations for 1978 and 1979 Cutlasses.
1978 3-spd Buick 231 V6 2bbl (base engine and trans)
4-spd Chevy 305 V8 2bbl (only engine choice for 4-spd in 1978)
5-spd Olds 260 V8 2bbl (weak T50 overdrive trans)
1979 3-spd Buick 231 V6
4-spd
1979 4-spd Chevy 305 V8 4bbl (3.08 rear end was the only choice)
5-spd Olds 260 V8 2bbl or Olds 260 Diesel

Gldngrk

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Oct 15, 2020
I'm pretty sure that the 4-speed in the 1979 Regal was only available with the 231 V6 2bbl, not the V8. The only production numbers that I've been able to come across shows that about 400 were made with this combo. A rare car but that doesn't always translate into a valuable car.

I've been watching manual transmission A/G bodies for 20 years and have only seen 2 Regals come up for sale on eBay or Craigslist:
- Oct 2012 on Springfield, IL CL car was a project, partially disassembled and stripped ready for paint, runs/drives, new springs/shocks, 100k miles $1800
- Nov 2011 on Tampa Bay CL car located in Zephyrhills, FL loaded, all original, 3.8 V6/4-speed, good paint/body $3000

I think what hurts the value of the 1978-79 manual transmission cars is they're not well known. I've owned TWO 1978 Cutlass Calais cars with the factory Chevy 305 / 4-speed combo and always drew large crowds at any local car show I attended. No one knew that a manual transmission was available for these cars. It surprised a lot of people when they saw them. I had multiple... we'll just call them "experts"... insist that it wasn't factory and that I installed the 4-spd myself. I tried showing them the original window stickers I had for both but claimed they were fake, too. Oh, well.

According to the factory literature, here is a list of the possible manual transmission installations for 1978 and 1979 Cutlasses.
1979 3-spd Buick 231 V6
4-spd
Well all that may be be true, Idk, the owner is 92 he bought it new he ordered it, he says it's only one of 48? Idk where he got that from, he's old but sharp as a tack.
He tried to sell the car years ago and there is still a sign in the window that says 79 Buick regal limited 3.8 4 spd manual 48k
As I said I only looked at it briefly and put the ad up before I went away for the weekend to see if there was any interest to help my neighbor out maybe he ordered it late in 78 and it came in as a 79 idk, but as i said when I get home someone is already coming to look at it from here and we eill go over the car and i will take some picks get the vin# and maybe one of you can decode it and go from there , I have nothing to do with the price or negotiations or anything other than helping list it, sorry for the vagueness of the listing as I was rushing to get away for the weekend so hopefully I will be able to answer all questions next week

Old ElCo Dude

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Feb 20, 2020

1979 3-spd Buick 231 V6
4-spd
This was circa 1989 or 90.I remember test driving an 80 Cutlass with a V6 & a factory 4 speed because I wanted to buy it. The 4 speed had according to the stick shift knob,a 4th gear OD.The trans on those I think might have been a Saginaw but the owner said it was a factory option and they owned it from new.
I turned it down because they used it to tow their small boat to the Jersey shore and the quarter panels were rotted from the fender bottoms &then all the way to the rear windows,both sides too.I didn't mind missing that one cause they wanted $1800. In 1990 money that was about a G too much with it needing both full quarters.
The one I really missed was a Malibu wagon that was loaded with all the options and had a factory 305 4 speed.According to the guy selling it the wagon was special ordered by the PO.Those G bodied 4 speeds were out there but what really stopped them from being ordered after 1981 in the states was the emission regulations.So from 1978 & up to 1981 was all the factory sticks out there.I don't know if they could be had in Canada from the dealer but there was the Iraqi taxi's deal that fell through and they were all stick shift cars.
Here's a link to the Iraqi Taxi myth.They're still out there somewhere.

Last edited:

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
The 4 speed had according to the stick shift knob,a 4th gear OD.The trans on those I think might have been a Saginaw but the owner said it was a factory option and they owned it from new.
Of all the Saginaw's I've had & came across over the years I've never seen one with OD. Nothing in my GM books on an OD 4 speed either.

Old ElCo Dude

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Feb 20, 2020
Well the Saginaw trans was a guess but the car was factory with a factory shift knob that said 1st - 2nd - 3rd and then OD where 4th gear would be.On the test drive was a short area of highway and the engine revs dropped just as would be expected by a shift to OD.
I knew someone would disagree with what I posted but I stand behind what I drove.Remember this was an Olds Cutlass and Olds was the only division with a 5 speed with OD in 1977(& maybe even 76) .This was before the downsizing of the A-body's in 1978.So Olds was always the GM Div. with the first experimental stuff.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: 5spdCab

Red78Calais4speed

Greasemonkey
Feb 16, 2013
Leominster, Massachusetts
The Borg Warner T50 5-speed was the only overdrive trans Oldsmobile used at the time. It was available from 1976-79 in the Starfires, Omegas, and Cutlasses. The Cutlasses used it behind the Olds 260 V8 2bbl motor 1976-79 and also the 260 Diesel in 1979. The T50 was a very weak trans, probably why it was used behind very low hp apps. Not very popular and unusual to see in the Cutlass lines. Plus, it was a $300+ option for a car with a base price around $4500 You were more likely to see them in the compact cars like the Olds Starfire, Chevy Monza, Pontiac Sunbird, and the Buick Skyhawk behind 4 and 6 cylinder engines.

• Informative
Reactions: 5spdCab

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck ConsolesDixie Restoration DepotMike's MontesP-S-TSouthside Machine PerformanceUMI Performance

contact[email protected]for info on becoming a sponsor