1979 caballero specs

Status
Not open for further replies.

houndin101

Master Mechanic
May 5, 2010
anyone know the specs of the 79 350...i cant find specs anywhere it sucks and was the 350 an option or did it only come with the diablo?

houndin101

Master Mechanic
May 5, 2010
houndin101 said:
anyone know the specs of the 79 350...i cant find specs anywhere it sucks and was the 350 an option or did it only come with the diablo?
all i could find was hp and it said 277 idk if it is true or not

omegaman211

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Feb 15, 2007
ohio
4 diff 350's available. all 170 HP all 8.2:1 CR all 4v all automatic only all LM1 option code. DUF, DUJ, DUH, DRX. all 4 eng codes.

houndin101

Master Mechanic
May 5, 2010
170 thats it??? my honda has 200 and fee;s way weaker then my cabby...how is it that a 350 was that weak

eocoolj

Apprentice
May 27, 2010
the late 70s, early 80s were among the darkest times for performance cars. The combination of lower octane unleaded fuel and new smog regulations absolutely killed performance. The best small block in 1979 was the Corvette L-82, which put out 220 hp, and supposedly accelerated the vette from 0-60 in roughly 6 seconds. Keep in mind also that the big horsepower numbers you see from the 60s and early 70s were gross horsepower figures. You need to subtract a good 10-20% off the gross figure to get the net horsepower ratings used after 1971. That 220 hp L-82 might have been rated at close to 300 hp in 1970.

I've actually thought it would be cool to build my '79 monte into a "what-if" car with the complete running gear out of a '79 corvette L-82. Build it up so that it looks like it came from the factory with that engine (not very hard) and try to convince people at car shows that its an uber-rare '79 Monte SS.

Also, when you say that your caballero feels stronger than your 200 hp honda, its probably because that, even with low compression, the 350 still probably has 275 or 300 ft-lbs of torque, which is what gives you that off-the-line power. If you look at the specs on the honda it probably only has 175 or so ft-lbs of torque.

houndin101

Master Mechanic
May 5, 2010
well yea my honda had fac 195 torque and with my cabby i wanna get 300 out of it...i wonder how much power im makin with the very few mods i have...

eocoolj

Apprentice
May 27, 2010
looking at your mods list i would guess probably not much more than stock. From everything I have read the factory Q-jet is a great carb and there is no reason to switch to anything else for most builds. If you dont care about emissions, I'd definitely go for the long tube headers and dual exhaust. That should wake the car up a bit, and since it will sound much better, you'll feel much faster 8)

houndin101

Master Mechanic
May 5, 2010
well i needed to rebuild the old one but at the time i needed something better cause its a daily im in the middle of rebuilding it now...next month im gonna start knockin things of my future mods lift...headers/dualin out/intake manifold/dizzy and coil...not sure wat else to do

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor