1979 century wagon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tberstler4

Not-quite-so-new-guy
May 31, 2022
If its your intention to convert the car to SBC, and it has the 301 Pontiac in it now, I would say don't do too much with the Pontiac engine, other than keeping it running, until you do the swap. There is very little on the Pontiac engine (other than probably distributor cap & rotor), that will be transferable to the SBC, and that includes engine mounts and accessory belt drives. Good luck with your swap.
Will the stock fuel system from the 301 work for a stock sbc ?

clean8485

Comic Book Super Hero
Dec 18, 2005
Ontario, Canada
Depending on which side of the engine bay that the original engine's fuel pump and starter are on, you may have to re-route some of the fuel line(s), and some of the engine wiring harness, to accomodate the replacement engine.

stew86MCSS396

Greasemonkey
Aug 1, 2022
(808)
If the 301 is anything like my Poncho 350, the starter is on the driver's side so you might need to lengthen the wires to the passenger side of the SBC. The fuel pump on my Poncho 350 is same side as the SBC but on the Poncho, it is located on the rear of the block whereas the SBC it is on the front so you need to perform some modifications to the fuel line plumbing to make it all work.

Last edited:

oldsmobile joe

Royal Smart Person
Nov 12, 2015
mpls
The fuel pump on my Poncho 350 is same side as the SBC but on the Poncho, it is located on the rear of the block
WTF!? Since when? Oh i gotta see a pic of this.

stew86MCSS396

Greasemonkey
Aug 1, 2022
(808)
Oh crap!!! I'm a retard!!! As the engine sits in my driveway with a tarp over it, I took a quick glance at it and assumed I was looking at the back of the block when I was really looking at the front. Sooooo...with my head screwed on straight fuel pump is on the front of the block driver's side.

SS_Malibu

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
Sep 27, 2021
Mesa, AZ
Oh crap!!! I'm a retard!!! As the engine sits in my driveway with a tarp over it, I took a quick glance at it and assumed I was looking at the back of the block when I was really looking at the front. Sooooo...with my head screwed on straight fuel pump is on the front of the block driver's side.
We can just write that off as years of brain abuse in your younger days (or currently). Lol.

SS_Malibu

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
Sep 27, 2021
Mesa, AZ
Tberstler4,
I still have that split bench seat if you want it. Otherwise I'll strip some parts off it and throw the seats away. I have nowhere for them.

oldsmobile joe

Royal Smart Person
Nov 12, 2015
mpls
Lmaf, been there, done that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor