1979 Cutlass Calais 260-size of rubber vacuum lines needed?

Status
Not open for further replies.

King_V

Master Mechanic
Jul 17, 2013
Sicklerville, NJ
All,

Ok, well, if I can squeeze in time and not have to work on an upcoming weekend, I'd like to replace the rubber vacuum lines (not worried about the plastic ones yet) on my 1979 Cutlass - automatic, 260 V8, non-California and non-high-altitude.

I was looking at this page:http://www.autozone.com/autozone/re...DIAGRAMS/VACUUM-DIAGRAMS/_/P-0900c15280055cf5 - and it looks like I have either Fig 25 or Fig 27 (at work now, and car's at home, so can't check under the hood to see which one matches)

Now, I know there are things not in the diagram (like the charcoal canister, etc.

So, to cover all the vacuum lines, what diameter vacuum lines do I need? I figure I probably will get a spool of whatever various sizes I should have (unless, say, there's only one short length of a particular size needed.

Also, looking at the diagrams I linked to, I see references to CTVS, DTVS, EGR-TCV, and SAVM. What do those acronyms stand for? (EDIT: ugh, Fig 1 told me that) Considering that, despite being under 48k original miles, these are 34 years old, are they failure prone? Is there any way to correctly test them? I'd rather NOT replace them if they're actually working correctly, but how can I be sure that they're regulating vacuum correctly?

Thanks in advance.

DoubleV

Royal Smart Person
Feb 25, 2011
Medina Ohio
Re: 1979 Cutlass Calais 260-size of rubber vacuum lines need

CTVS = Choke thermal vacuum switch.
DTVS = Distributor thermal vacuum switch
EGR-TCV = Exhaust gas recirculation-thermal control valve.
SAVM = Spark advance vacuum modulator

I forget the size of the standard vacuum lines. 5/16? Either way, just take in a piece of your line and match it up. Simple.

I don't know the 'official' way of testing a thermal control valve, but basically it's just a block off in a vacuum line that will only open up when the temp gets hot enough ( or it always lets vacuum through untill it reaches the correct temp then it blocks off vacuum flow ). So just check to see if the vacuum is flowing through the TVS's when it's cold and then test again when it's hot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor