1979 Cutlass & Hurst Exhaust

Status
Not open for further replies.

BlueCalais79

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jul 3, 2021
Finally! Someone is selling correct 1979 Hurst Style (1 in 2 out muffler) and Cutlass (1 in, 1 out) exhaust systems. Waldron's Exhaust is posting these systems, cat back. In Aluminized Stainless and 409 Stainless. EXPENSIVE! But at least someone is now making the formerly un-obtainable 1 in 2 out muffler for the 1979 Hurst.

I've been on these people for years to repro the Hurst muffler, I bought a custom made Imposter muffler for my 79 Hurst from them 8 years ago and they said at that time they would not be making anymore.

Also, the Imposter version is not that loud at all, you get a nice subtle rumble at about 65-75 mph, that's about it. No low MPH drone at all.

Reactions: 1 users
Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
Yeah, it is good that this is being reproduced, you guys can keep them original. Are they doing a Vin 9 set up? No one makes that anymore. My take on any cars from 74 and up, is once catalytic converters were put on vehicles, GM was super hesitant put two of them on any vehicle, let alone dual exhaust and it hurt performance for years. Olds exhaust systems are terrible, even the Vin 9. The crossover is super restrictive and the manifolds aren't great either. Part of the reason for the better performance from Ford's 5L HO was shorty headers and dual exhaust. Ford even added factory H pipes in some years. Olds knew this and added shorty headers, an actual Y pipe with a Corvette cat into the Vin 9 dual exhaust with ram air added 30 hp FE3X prototype. I wonder why Olds bothered to make a system that was definitely possible in the real world but never went into any cars. That and the T-5 5 speed from that prototype would have made the 442 very competitive for 1985. Even the EFI 5L HO automatics ran what a 15.2 1/4 mile compared to the 14.7 of the 5 spd cars.

Reactions: 1 users

BlueCalais79

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jul 3, 2021
Nothing for the 83-84 H/O was on their site. Another thing is they make you buy the whole system, you can't just but the muffler only like I did some years back. I will have my 1979 H/O at the Olds Nationals in Murfreesboro, TN 8/2 to 8/8, so if anyone wants to stop by and see/hear what the muffler sounds like I would be glad to start it up for you. The rest of the system is Wagner including their Cat for this car, and it's tough finding that stuff anymore. I believe the 79 H/O and the 1980 442 are both the same deal regarding the exhaust as its for the 350r motor, so if you look in places like Rock Auto for these exhaust components I find it best to enter 1980 instead of 1979.

Reactions: 2 users

pizza442

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Sep 9, 2017
As a side note, back in '89 when I was ordering up Walker muffler for my 79 H/O, I was looking at the illustrations in the Walker catalog and noticed that the Cutlass w/the 350 diesel also had a 1in, 2out transverse-mount muffler with dual tail pipes. Wonder if the 2 mufflers were very different? After that, I started to look at the tail pipes of diesel gbodies and yup, saw the duals, they were turned down (due to soot?). The pipe that replaced the cat in the diesel system had my attention, too:sneaky:

• Love

hangar401

One Owner
Oct 3, 2019
Windsor,Ontario,Canada
Finally! Someone is selling correct 1979 Hurst Style (1 in 2 out muffler) and Cutlass (1 in, 1 out) exhaust systems. Waldron's Exhaust is posting these systems, cat back. In Aluminized Stainless and 409 Stainless. EXPENSIVE! But at least someone is now making the formerly un-obtainable 1 in 2 out muffler for the 1979 Hurst.

I've been on these people for years to repro the Hurst muffler, I bought a custom made Imposter muffler for my 79 Hurst from them 8 years ago and they said at that time they would not be making anymore.

Also, the Imposter version is not that loud at all, you get a nice subtle rumble at about 65-75 mph, that's about it. No low MPH drone at all.
I am using a Flowmaster 40 on mine 1 in 2 out sounds great on my 79 305

Rocket350

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Oct 27, 2021
Charlevoix, MI

Picked up a NOS muffler yesterday at the Homecoming in Lansing #475430. Comes with left tailpipe welded on and right tailpipe sold separately. Waldron's will sell components separately if needed.
IMG_20220619_074028.jpg
Screenshot_2022-06-16-12-11-05-25_e307a3f9df9f380ebaf106e1dc980bb6.jpg

pizza442

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Sep 9, 2017
Has anyone closely compared the mufflers from the 80's F body and the Turbo Buick G-bodies to the 79-80 R code 350 H/O and 442?

79 USA 1

Royal Smart Person
Sep 2, 2011
Cheektowaga, New York
The same system was used on the 78-81 Malibu 9C1 Police cars. Was also listed for 78-80 305 Monte Carlo and Malibu, Had ran that system with a Sears "Muzzler" Muffler for many years on my first 79 Monte Carlo then my 79 Malibu Classic.

Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor