1979 El Camino dropped spindles 1" lower springs ???

Status
Not open for further replies.

1979elky

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Nov 30, 2012
I have a 79 El Camino, it was a V6 car, it now has a 350 crate motor with a 350 trans, added a heavier radiator but left the V6 springs and like the way it sits, but the frame is now an inch off the snubbers and bottoms out at slight dips and bang on big ones.
My question is, what spring would you guys recommend I use? it also seems to wander, I rebuilt all the suspension bushings, ball joints, tie rods, the steering sector seems tight, shocks are new, but cheap napa ones. If I put in V8 springs, it would bring it up, could I use 2" dropped spindles to archive the wanted ride hight?
Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks,
1979 Elky

307 Regal

Royal Smart Person
Oct 21, 2009
Northern Indiana
Did you get an alignment?
Drop spindles will lower your car without affecting your suspension geometry. That way you can run stock V8 springs and have good clearances yet still have the front end lower than stock height.
That's all I've got. I don't know a whole lot about suspension yet.

1979elky

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Nov 30, 2012
Nothing harsh, just a stock to a little firmer ride with better steering. I want a good driver, not mushy, not bone jarring. I don't like the wandering with the steering, and mushy feel, plush the bottoming out.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
if you use a moog 5658 and cut it 1/3 of a coil that should give you a drop of 2" or close to it and it will give you about 600 lbs spring rate, the Eibachs have 660 spring rate. If you want to go a bit stiffer than the moog 5658 you can use the moog 5660 and cut that 1/2 coil for a 2" drop. That spring rate will be close to 660. Or a friend of mine is clearing out some of his racing stock..

526893_438253636238780_393187163_n.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor