1979 El Camino Front Coilovers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vev78

n00b
Dec 9, 2021
Hello, I have a 79 El Camino that was lowered by putting very old tired springs in it. I love the stance but am having issues with rubbing. I am thinking of going with adjustable coil overs that will give me a better ride and allow for height adjustment.

Does anyone have experience with coilovers for a similar application? I am hoping to keep stock A arms as this is just a daily driver. Running a 350 w/aluminum heads.

I apreciate any help.

Supa.Slo.SS

Apprentice
Aug 7, 2020
CA
No experience with coil overs but from my research over the years everyone recommends drop spindles which corrects the suspension geometry & improves handling.

From what I remember with drop spindles you can reuse stock length springs.

melloelky

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 22, 2017
mass
Hello, I have a 79 El Camino that was lowered by putting very old tired springs in it. I love the stance but am having issues with rubbing. I am thinking of going with adjustable coil overs that will give me a better ride and allow for height adjustment.

Does anyone have experience with coil overs for a similar application? I am hoping to keep stock A arms as this is just a daily driver. Running a 350 w/aluminum heads.

I appreciate any help.

No experience with coil overs but from my research over the years everyone recommends drop spindles which corrects the suspension geometry & improves handling.

From what I remember with drop spindles you can reuse stock length springs.
there's more than one train of thought here-if you replace your current very old tired spring with a new stock version,it'll be higher than it is now because it's a new spring and not an old very tired one that gives it that low slung look.have you looked into the tires sizes themselves to see if that's what's making the rubbing??an over sized tire could be the culprit on a stock set up as well. yes the adjustable will allow you to set your ride height where you'd like it but it's not the cheapest option going.aside from popular belief drop spindles don't change the alignment,it raises the wheel into the wheel house giving you your lowered stance.@no time with dropped spindles do the control arms or the parts that make up your front end,end up in a different position.all that happens is that "pin" that your bearings spin on is raised on the knuckle.therefore no gain is to be had.it also moves your outer tie rod closer to the inside/bottom of the wheel.not an issue for every one but still..sure a vehicle that's lower to the ground "will" handle better due to it's lower center of gravity but it's not by leaps and bounds difference.the geometry in these cars are trash,for most people it doesn't matter.most are shooting for a look-they jam drop spindles on and go cruising.smiles per gallon.where you're looking to change out a set of worn springs i wouldn't run a spring any shorter than a one inch less than stock.it makes for an even less than pleasant ride.FYI this is all from my experience-your mileage may vary..

Reactions: 1 users

Vev78

n00b
Dec 9, 2021
2.jpg

Reactions: 1 user

Vev78

n00b
Dec 9, 2021

This is the current stance. I like the height but would like to raise the frony end a bit. Not too concerned with investing money for a better ride and height adjustment. Leaning towards coil overs just have not researched what brand and weight range to buy.

I plan on dropping in an Erod LS3 to make this California Smog legal. Currently has a great running 350. Still trying to decide on a color for paint as well.

I appreciate the feedback.

Reactions: 1 user

elcotrk

Apprentice
Oct 8, 2021

Does anyone have experience with coilovers for a similar application? I am hoping to keep stock A arms as this is just a daily driver. Running a 350 w/aluminum heads.

I apreciate any help.
I thought of upgrading to Coilovers got reply’s here, seen options on EBay most require A arms saw a couple said. You can use stock OEM A-arms they had smaller diameter springs cost more, forum reply said didn’t work out. Be sure to check with seller on installation and application and return /refund
I decided on Bilstein b6 front shocks. it’ seems like a big project could get complicated for the future maybe

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor