1979 Grand prix

Status
Not open for further replies.

Carmine116

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Feb 22, 2019
Hi, Im new to this site. I have a chance to buy a 79 G.P. factory 4 speed and factory sunroof said to be 1 of 232 stick and 1of1 4speed ordered with sunroof. Will be doing a PHS on the car but in the mean time was wondering if this car is worth the 8,500.00 he is asking? Car is low miles black with red leather int. LJ option and in a solid 8.5 condition. The 301 is gone and has a 455 ho installed. Thanks for an answers . Carmine

85442/86buick

G-Body Guru
Feb 12, 2013
Perth Country , Ontario
hello ,
sounds like a great car , rarer than rare . I be on it like a fat kid on a smartie.

now $ 8,500 is alot of money.......but if body / frame / paint & the swap of the 455 are good.

of course some will ask ,what rear end & 4 speed transmission is in the car now ?

GO FOR IT .....damn it's easy to spend someone else's money !

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

79 GP 4 speed

Master Mechanic
Nov 12, 2017
Got pics?

Carmine116

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Feb 22, 2019
Going to look at it next week. Car is only 14 miles from my house. Will post some picture after I decide to buy it or not.

buick7332

Master Mechanic
Oct 21, 2014
N.E. Philadelphia area
Hi, Im new to this site. I have a chance to buy a 79 G.P. factory 4 speed and factory sunroof said to be 1 of 232 stick and 1of1 4speed ordered with sunroof. Will be doing a PHS on the car but in the mean time was wondering if this car is worth the 8,500.00 he is asking? Car is low miles black with red leather int. LJ option and in a solid 8.5 condition. The 301 is gone and has a 455 ho installed. Thanks for an answers . Carmine
First thing to do is get underneath and look for rust. Check the frame in the rear wheel area. Look at the vinyl top for rust underneath. Check the floor pans. You are right, it is a very rare car but to much rust could make it worthless. I myself owned one but it was so rusty the amount of work involved to bring it back would far exceed the value of the car. (I paid $1000) I wound up buying another car that had no rust and switched everything over minus the 301 (I went with a 400) and scraped the 79. It broke my heart to send a rare car to the grave yard but there was no saving it. Anyway, if this car is solid I say go for it. I'd love to hear one was saved.

Carmine116

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Feb 22, 2019
First thing to do is get underneath and look for rust. Check the frame in the rear wheel area. Look at the vinyl top for rust underneath. Check the floor pans. You are right, it is a very rare car but to much rust could make it worthless. I myself owned one but it was so rusty the amount of work involved to bring it back would far exceed the value of the car. (I paid $1000) I wound up buying another car that had no rust and switched everything over minus the 301 (I went with a 400) and scraped the 79. It broke my heart to send a rare car to the grave yard but there was no saving it. Anyway, if this car is solid I say go for it. I'd love to hear one was saved.
Thank you, I will do everything you said and more. I will post either way what I decide to do.

paul.m

Master Mechanic
Oct 20, 2018
Welcome from GA .That is a rare car indeed ! Like buick 7332 said look it over good . As long as the frame isn't rusty everything else is replaceable , but at that price point you shouldn't be having any serious issues like that ! Good luck with it . And remember CASH talk,s !

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

79 GP 4 speed

Master Mechanic
Nov 12, 2017
Where about are you located?

79 GP 4 speed

Master Mechanic
Nov 12, 2017
You are correct about it being 1 of 232 4 speeds.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor