1979 Malibu Wagon build/engine swap

Status
Not open for further replies.

84dragcutlass

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
Aug 20, 2009
North Vernon IN
So along with my cutlass build Im also working on my 79 wagon and doing an engine swap that I have been thinking about for a while. As far as I know its the first of its kind and im very excited to hear it run. Now for the fun part, the engine is a 6.5 Turbo Diesel and trans out of my old 1994 Chevy 1 Ton Dually. The truck finally gave out but I have put a ton of money in the engine with a lot of upgrade stuff so I didn't want it to go to waste. Let me know what you guys think. Pictures coming soon

84dragcutlass

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
Aug 20, 2009
North Vernon IN
20160319_172026.jpg
20160319_170857.jpg

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
Go for it, Josh!
It's cool to see something different in progress.

84dragcutlass

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
Aug 20, 2009
North Vernon IN
It was amazing that it went in there the way it did, there was a trick to it, but after I figured out how to wiggle it around and sit it down it bolted in to a set of aftermarket solid motor mounts meant for a small block chevy. I didn't change anything from the big truck to the wagon so its really great the way GM have made their parts so interchangeable. Big thing is going to be the trans crossmember because im not sure ill be able to find one that will work. Ill be taking the exhaust out the passenger fender however to my surprise there is enough room to run a 3 inch downpipe off the turbo and under the floor just like stock if I wanted to go that route. I Installed the hydroboost out of the truck as well which bolted right on and now I just have to hook up the wiring and we will see if she turns over

Flyers9928

G-Body Guru
Jul 30, 2014
South Central Pa
Crazy torque down low in rpm range, should be fun.

84dragcutlass

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
Aug 20, 2009
North Vernon IN
Transmission is a 4L80E, I pulled it out of the truck as an assembly so I said what the heck and used it as well. Its controlled by the computer and harness from the engine so it should work just the way it did in the truck. Im fitting the trucks original gage cluster in the wagons dash so that all the gages should work like they are supposed to. I will have to change the rear gears to 4:11 since that's what the truck had however with the different tire size I might go with 3:73

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor