1979 Monte Carlo. Has not seen road in almost 15 years

Status
Not open for further replies.

AlexThe80s

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Apr 24, 2019
Ontario
DSC02822.JPG

This was a while back but its largely unchanged. Drivers side floor looking down into the pavement. This here is the worst of it, passenger side is a little more intact but still all the way through. This and the golfball sized hole in the frame near the front right are the two most depressing hurdles to get over.

• Wow
Reactions: 1 user

85442/86buick

G-Body Guru
Feb 12, 2013
Perth Country , Ontario
Welcome ,

what area of Ontario are you in ? why are you thinking of replacing the existing engine ? $ 1,400 Cad for a running ( ? ) 305 and tranmission. May not be the best use of the money........if you just need a Carb....I am sure we can find you one local depending on your location in Ontario.

edit for the Carb- or save the one rusting away on your girl's balcony ,at least 2 places in the GTA to talk to.

AlexThe80s

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Apr 24, 2019
Ontario
Welcome ,

what area of Ontario are you in ? why are you thinking of replacing the existing engine ? $ 1,400 Cad for a running ( ? ) 305 and tranmission. May not be the best use of the money........if you just need a Carb....I am sure we can find you one local depending on your location in Ontario.

edit for the Carb- or save the one rusting away on your girl's balcony ,at least 2 places in the GTA to talk to.

Im in the GTA, My engine is also missfiring, and the oil has NEVER been changed. I took my Carb into work today and showed it to my shop forman who said basicly theres so much gunk inside its safer to get a new one. I know some guys in my parts department are into restoring old cars and are very resorceful who also said they'd help find me a good one.

85442/86buick

G-Body Guru
Feb 12, 2013
Perth Country , Ontario
guess I should asked this earlier ,What engine is in it now ? What Carb is it ? And why have you not changed the oil in the last few years ??

I be surprised that the current Carb cannot be disassembled , cleaned out and rebuild .

• Agree

AlexThe80s

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Apr 24, 2019
Ontario
guess I should asked this earlier ,What engine is in it now ? What Carb is it ? And why have you not changed the oil in the last few years ??

I be surprised that the current Carb cannot be disassembled , cleaned out and rebuild .
Im pretty sure its a 305. the reason I have doubt is because before my dad owned the car it was a Dragracer(alegedly 8sec 1/4 mile). My VIN indicates it was built with a 6 cyl so I know its not the original engine and they swapped out the 508 that was in it when my dad won the car(Won it on a $10 raffle ticket). This is the story my Dad told me and hes said a few times that the engine is a 350 crate motor and I know from the outside that a 305 and a 350 look identical. The oils never been changed because since i've owned it i've never had it on the road.
All I know about the carb is its a 2 barrel and looks very stock. Air filter says Edlebrock but I stole that off dads Gremlin

AlexThe80s

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Apr 24, 2019
Ontario
Forgot to bring my Camera for the big move across the street a few days ago. Won't go back into park and the brakes are compleately gone now, I hit my dads truck 4 times while he towed it over but no damage to ether vehicle. First time I had actually been behind the wheel of my monte and it felt good. I wanted to tinker with it yesterday but low and behold things got super stressful and I had no time. Going to order brakelines and fuel system components as soon as I have the chance, I already have some brake components in storage but I need to see what else I need, as long as I can get it to stop for now. I promise fresh pictures next time I see the car

AlexThe80s

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Apr 24, 2019
Ontario
1998 My monte carlo 2 close up.jpg

So I don't have any fresh pictures but to give a little background on what I am trying to save, This was a picture from the 90s before the front body damage. This is the car I am working on. The car that my dad used to pull up in at my school and all the other kids would stare and go "woah!.. Is that your dad?". He'd roll the window down and i'd climb through over the cage. Sometimes we'd go for milkshakes or pizza. This car hold a lot of memories in it for me and for him. years later when I was older he told me a story about picking up 3 ladies at a club and they all stumbled over the roll cage getting in and out...but dad, the Monte only has 2 seats? where were the other 2....ohh......well I plan on changing the seats anyways.

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users

AlexThe80s

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Apr 24, 2019
Ontario
Been busy with some family matters and lost a lot of steam but should be back on track with this by next pay period. pricing out some parts on Rockauto, going to order the gas tank stuff from there, pricing is decent. I can't find a brake line kit so I guess I just need to get standard brake line and hope it looks nice. The motor I was going to pick up has changed, the guy needed some parts off it for his own project but most of what I need is still on it, hes taking the water pump, coils(distributor too?), and alternator and promised me a much better price though I just wanted somthing thats drop and go so I might pass on it and try to revive the old engine, who knows, maybe the 40 year over due oil change will work out the kinks?.
Rockauto also has floor pans and they have a 16 gauge left and right side solid floor piece but its the last set in stock. Do I jump on this or just go for regular floor pans? taking into account that any and all body work, I want done to maximum effectiveness. Or should I just leave that up to the body shop? I'd be less stressed about it if it wasn't the last two available

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor