1979 Remote sport mirror overhaul?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Doug Chahoy

Comic Book Super Hero
Nov 21, 2016
I can’t believe in all my years of working on cars I’ve never done this . I’m taking my drivers side remote mirror apart to change the mirror glass itself. Does the bracket and plastic cap with the small wires just pull off the back of the glass? This time I’m asking BEFORE I regret doing something. I ordered the new glass from OPGI

JimmyCamino

Greasemonkey
Dec 15, 2020
Alexandria, VA
Does the bracket and plastic cap with the small wires just pull off the back of the glass?
Wasn't obvious to me how to get them apart.

I replaced the mirrors on my 84 when I repainted it. The driver side mirror was a real pain. Couldn't get the guts out in order to paint it cleanly, had to mask it up. Adhesive holding the mirror is pretty strong. The metal wires that crimp on to the plastic baseplate had a fair amount of play in them. I used a little JB Weld to reinforce them to the plastic baseplate. Still not as tight as I'd like it. Found several replacement mirror sizes available, went with p/n GM1323120 which fit fine.

Tomeal

G-Body Guru
Apr 17, 2016
Clyde,pa
This?

IMG_20210314_194127802.jpg

Ribbedroof

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Jan 4, 2009
Wellston, OK
I had mine apart, but it's tricky.

The base is screwed through the upper, into the bracket that the glass/backer assembly floats on. There is also a screw behind the glass/backer into the upper housing. I was trying to change the cable assembly, since a PO had cut it off. Hole in the base is not big enough to allow the cable assembly to come out.

Mission fail.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

Doug Chahoy

Comic Book Super Hero
Nov 21, 2016
I had mine apart, but it's tricky.

The base is screwed through the upper, into the bracket that the glass/backer assembly floats on. There is also a screw behind the glass/backer into the upper housing. I was trying to change the cable assembly, since a PO had cut it off. Hole in the base is not big enough to allow the cable assembly to come out.

Mission fail.
I’m at that point with mine. It’s now the 2 pieces of the mirror housing sliding along the cables. I was cautious about prying the plastic connector off, that’s why I posted the question on here first. I’ll wait to see what OPGI sends me. If it just glue on glass then I’m fine. If it’s not looks like I’ll end up paying $130.00 + for a new repop. Gotta be a Murphy’s Law “it ALWAYS ENDS UP COSTING MORE “

JimmyCamino

Greasemonkey
Dec 15, 2020
Alexandria, VA
I attached these two pictures but they didn't stick. Try it again.

Attachments

• MVC-428S.JPG
    MVC-428S.JPG
    159.4 KB · Views: 186
  • MVC-426S.JPG
    MVC-426S.JPG
    174.6 KB · Views: 189
Reactions: 1 users

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
I took one of these apart once off a 72 Cutlass. I carefully marked and pried open the control end portion of the cables from there crimped positions. I was able to free the cables and slide the entire operation apart. There were 2 heavy duty phillips head screws from up underneath holding all that crap together. Everything slid apart and was able to paint the junk separately, and didn't tear anything up. Gotta be careful with that control end piece. It's potmetal type crap and will bust on you in a heartbeat if not careful. That was like 30 years ago, so I don't even remember how in the f** I got it together again. IIRC, I used a pointed punch to dink over the crimps again to keep it all together again. Total PITA and I wouldn't do that again and the next time I had to deal with it, I just had the painters tape around the mirror section and do the best they could.

Not sure if this will help any.

Reactions: 1 user

Doug Chahoy

Comic Book Super Hero
Nov 21, 2016
I took one of these apart once off a 72 Cutlass. I carefully marked and pried open the control end portion of the cables from there crimped positions. I was able to free the cables and slide the entire operation apart. There were 2 heavy duty phillips head screws from up underneath holding all that crap together. Everything slid apart and was able to paint the junk separately, and didn't tear anything up. Gotta be careful with that control end piece. It's potmetal type crap and will bust on you in a heartbeat if not careful. That was like 30 years ago, so I don't even remember how in the f** I got it together again. IIRC, I used a pointed punch to dink over the crimps again to keep it all together again. Total PITA and I wouldn't do that again and the next time I had to deal with it, I just had the painters tape around the mirror section and do the best they could.

Not sure if this will help any.
Hearing other people’s opinions about it, depending what OPGI sends me looks like I’ll be buying a new repop. I highly doubt any body has a PERFECT USED ONE

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor