1980 Caballero A/C compressor

Status
Not open for further replies.

1980s

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jun 26, 2019
I'm trying to find a replacement compressor for my 80 Caballero. The one I ordered from Rock Auto looks like others I have researched. The plate on the hose connection hose two small extensions that go into recesses in the compressor. The compressor is machined to accommodate two, plain o rings to seal the plate to the compressor. I removed the shipping block-off plate on the RA compressor which released the slight gas charge. My hose would not connect to the compressor. No replacement o rings came with it either. No photographs show the back of the compressor w/o the shipping plate.
Any ideas? I guess I could replace the hoses but the replacements look like the one I have.

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
Pics of old compressor next to new showing the ports, and your fitting please?

Later R4 compressors came with a step on one of the ports when used on 134A systems. This is the reason they want you to use a thick washer/seal on one side when using them. I've heard they have issues by using this bandaid style.

R12 ports usually are equal length tubes on the fittings using the same type of o-ring seal on both sides.

And that seems to be the problem with the rebuilders and the new manufactured units. There's plenty out there for 134A units but they'll never tell you which you're going to get.

MAYBE we can figure this out.

Reactions: 1 user

1980s

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jun 26, 2019
I don't have a photo of the new compressor. Hopefully I have attached a photo of my compressor and hose. From what you said, it sounds like I will have to replace the hose but I don't know which hose. I'll have to let my phone charge before I cam send the photo. Is there a way to attach a photo from an existing file? I don't see the usual paper clip.

Ribbedroof

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Jan 4, 2009
Wellston, OK
When you compose a reply, there is a button with a paperclip and Attach files text right under the text box

1980s

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jun 26, 2019
The compressor I ordered from RA was new. Maybe I should go for a rebuilt unit.

Attachments

• 1561639954913-812092010.jpg
    1561639954913-812092010.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 284

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
Did the new one look like this? Note the stepped areas don't quite match up evenly like the ones used for our cars. Normally, these are used on the early 90s Silverados and junk like that.

AC R4 compressor stepped inlet-outlet.jpg

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
Um...you said you ordered one from Rockauto and played with it some...what did you do with it?

Regardless, it appears new R4 compressors are being built with the step in the fitting area, because I'm assuming they figure R12 is a dead issue, so why continue making parts for such? Even rebuilt units use the same type of guts, so it is entirely possible you get a part that is belt driven only to find out it's a rebuilt truck unit that was made for 134 fittings. You got to keep your eyes peeled for that sort of thing.

1980s

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jun 26, 2019
I sent it back because my hose wouldn't fit. It was part of a kit that was suppose to fit my Caballero. You would think there would be refererence to the hose fit or new hoses would be included with the kit. Any idea what hose assembly will fit? When I looked for a replacement hose assembly, one like the one I have was shown.

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
According to the ACDelco website (and Rockauto), your p/n should be 15-21764, or GM #19192411 assuming you have the V8 305. Problem is, I'm not sure if that particular part has the correct port configuration as original.

Or equivalent number. I've heard ok things about 4 season rebuilts, but I haven't ever used one myself.

Is this the compressor you got from Rockauto? Or another one?

Whatever compressor you get, you need to make sure it has the identical style O-ring for each port which matches up with your hose assembly. Otherwise you'll have to get a hose assembly for say, a 93 Chevy using an R4 with 134 and then getting that fitting adapted to your hose assembly. A hose shop should be able to do it. I'd try and find the right compressor with the right port sealing faces myself.

Of course, it's not a bad idea if you're converting to 134. It's just that the recommended "fix" is to use a thicker washer/O-ring seal for that one side which I really don't see that as the proper fix. Lots of people on some of the truck websites complain that's a weak spot for many a 134A leak.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor