CUTLASS 1980 Cutlass Calais, newbie to posting, am looking for 78-80 cutlass posts/pics/ideas

Status
Not open for further replies.

pak442

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Feb 17, 2019
WP_20170520_11_14_37_Pro.jpg
WP_20171007_20_07_44_Pro.jpg
WP_20160719_002.jpg

Frame removed, blasted, repaired and a coat of paint.

Reactions: 2 users

pak442

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Feb 17, 2019
I'd put the chrome back on and lose the cowl. Otherwise, it's perfect!!!
Enginewise? A stroker small block Olds with fuel injection would be my suggestion. Back it with a 2004r.
Fuel injection is on the radar.

Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
Who built that? G I see a servo and a deep pan. What are the specs for the motor?

pak442

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Feb 17, 2019
Who built that? G I see a servo and a deep pan. What are the specs for the motor?
Friend of a friend of a friend. Came highly recommended by a coworker who had this person build up his transmissions for his race cars, including oldsmobiles. Hopefully your indicating this is a good thing you are seeing. Engine is basically edelbrock performer rpm setup all over, from cam to heads.(~400hp -engine dyno)

Reactions: 1 user
Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
Yes, a billet servo and deep pan is good. Also make sure a 700R4 or 4L60E bottom feed filter is used instead of the stock top feed 2004R filter. These trans are very fussy about clutch pack settings for firm shifts. Also you may be approaching the point where a billet forward drum and shaft are necessary. Hopefully the governor was modified or replaced with a high performance one. It could shift as low as 3000 rpm stock! Also with the Performer RPM cam, at least a 2500 stall torque converter is needed. Ok, here is a few observations on your 350 build and questions. First, is that a 750 Edelbrock carb? The only one I would remotely consider is the new 800 CFM AVS 2 carb from them. Olds guys seem to have the most issues with Edelbrock carbs. Honestly a custom tuned mid 70's 800 CFM Qjet, 750 Street Demon or Quickfuel 750 Slayer all cost similar and are all better carbs. The Edelbrock heads are very good heads but are designed for the BBO and have big 77cc chambers. Even with flat top pistons, without considerable milling, you will only be at 9 to 1 compression. I assume old school Speedpro flat top pistons were used with stock, heavy and soft rods. Also the Performer RPM is a generic grind, lazy cam, as said a minimum of 2500 stall and 3.42 gears. Cutlassefi stroker packages boost you to 422ci minimum, modern lighter pistons with way better ring packs, much stronger aftermarket rods, and a similar weight but much stronger 5140 billet 4" stroke crank. His 9 to 1 compression, mild roller cam imported iron SB head build 400+ hp and more importantly 500+ ft/lbs of torque. The guy is running a 750 Slayer, low 2000's stall, beefed up 2004R trans, 2.93 gears, has gotten 22 mpg driving nice and was super happy with the good manners and performance. His aluminum head builds, we are talking 500+ HP and 550 ft/lbs, very impressive. Honestly cubic inches rule which is why most build 455's. Problem with them is very heavy resiprocating assembly and 3" main bearings. Many bottom end issues. The new SB stroker crank is lighter than the 50 year old 330 crank and similar weight to the N crank I assumed you used. Cutlassefi, Mark Remmel sells the stroker resiprocating assembly for $2500, the results are well worth it. Just trying to help you have the best Olds build possible. Was your motor actually dynoed?

pak442

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Feb 17, 2019
Yes, a billet servo and deep pan is good. Also make sure a 700R4 or 4L60E bottom feed filter is used instead of the stock top feed 2004R filter. These trans are very fussy about clutch pack settings for firm shifts. Also you may be approaching the point where a billet forward drum and shaft are necessary. Hopefully the governor was modified or replaced with a high performance one. It could shift as low as 3000 rpm stock! Also with the Performer RPM cam, at least a 2500 stall torque converter is needed. Ok, here is a few observations on your 350 build and questions. First, is that a 750 Edelbrock carb? The only one I would remotely consider is the new 800 CFM AVS 2 carb from them. Olds guys seem to have the most issues with Edelbrock carbs. Honestly a custom tuned mid 70's 800 CFM Qjet, 750 Street Demon or Quickfuel 750 Slayer all cost similar and are all better carbs. The Edelbrock heads are very good heads but are designed for the BBO and have big 77cc chambers. Even with flat top pistons, without considerable milling, you will only be at 9 to 1 compression. I assume old school Speedpro flat top pistons were used with stock, heavy and soft rods. Also the Performer RPM is a generic grind, lazy cam, as said a minimum of 2500 stall and 3.42 gears. Cutlassefi stroker packages boost you to 422ci minimum, modern lighter pistons with way better ring packs, much stronger aftermarket rods, and a similar weight but much stronger 5140 billet 4" stroke crank. His 9 to 1 compression, mild roller cam imported iron SB head build 400+ hp and more importantly 500+ ft/lbs of torque. The guy is running a 750 Slayer, low 2000's stall, beefed up 2004R trans, 2.93 gears, has gotten 22 mpg driving nice and was super happy with the good manners and performance. His aluminum head builds, we are talking 500+ HP and 550 ft/lbs, very impressive. Honestly cubic inches rule which is why most build 455's. Problem with them is very heavy resiprocating assembly and 3" main bearings. Many bottom end issues. The new SB stroker crank is lighter than the 50 year old 330 crank and similar weight to the N crank I assumed you used. Cutlassefi, Mark Remmel sells the stroker resiprocating assembly for $2500, the results are well worth it. Just trying to help you have the best Olds build possible. Was your motor actually dynoed?
Appreciate the insight and info. The engine is done, except the carb will be replaced by a fuel injection setup. Trans and converter were setup to mate up to a 3.70 rear gear. Trans build guy took all the engine specs and car info and built the trans accordingly. And the engine was dynoed. 399.8 Hp was its best run, which I will gladly take over the anemic 110 Hp 260 olds v8 originally in the car.

Reactions: 1 users
Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
Yes, a dynoed motor is totally different than just a guess. The 3.70 help a lot, match the converter as in 2500+ and you will love it. Don't forget timing control for EFI and get an EFI tank. Awesome, I am jealous, this will be awesome.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor