1980 GP 265v8 to 350 Pontiac Questions....

Status
Not open for further replies.

pete01768

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jun 6, 2007
The new motor is a 1969 350 Pontiac ... 2 motor mount holes on the side of the block..

SO i ordered the Indian Adventures motor mounts.... nice pieces... BUT one side is slightly longer than the other. Which is the driver side and which is the passanger side?

Apparrently this company is out of business. They made headers for the 1978-1988 chassis with pontiac engines... Since they are not available.. now what?

Late 70's firebird headers?
Early 70's fullsize car (Grand Prix, 2+2) headers?

Will the accessory brackets from the old 265 pontiac V8 work with the 1969 motor? Probably not but maybe it wouldnt hurt to ask.

shotgun

Royal Smart Person
Nov 12, 2007
Nort o Philly
"The new motor is a 1969 350 Pontiac ... 2 motor mount holes on the side of the block.. "

I have always made my own so can't say which way to mount thiers but..

Using the mounts off the 265:

The d/s back bolt for the mount should line up with the middle head bolt .

What I mean is if you dropped a string from the head bolt that sits between the exhaust ports it would line right up with the last(rear) bolt of the mount.

On the pass side, using the same bolt as your reference, the rear mount bolt will be about an inch back .

There are only a couple way they fit and this should get it for you.

"Apparrently this company is out of business. They made headers for the 1978-1988 chassis with pontiac engines... Since they are not available.. now what? "

Depending on your goals: logs, Ram Air manifolds, generic 3 tubes are

your "easy" options. Beyond that it's find a used set or custom ($).

"Will the accessory brackets from the old 265 pontiac V8 work with the 1969 motor? Probably not but maybe it wouldnt hurt to ask."

What are you trying to do? A/C ? Power steering? etc.

They all can be made to work, the deck was 1 inch lower on the 265/301 so thing will bolt up,you just to do some tweaking.

Tell me you goals, motor specs etc and I can make some educated suggestions.

pete01768

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jun 6, 2007
Engine Swap

No, what i mean was this:

it looks like one mount is longer than the other, so as to center the engine on the frame mounts. The holes on the mount line up with the holes on the block only one way so the position of the engine relative to the frame is not my concern. My question is this: is the longer mount for the driver side or passenger side?

headers:

generic 3 tube headers... what are those? i was going to buy like dynomax headers for a 77 firebird with a 400 pontiac engine and see if those would work.

nOOb as it says below my name lol

shotgun

Royal Smart Person
Nov 12, 2007
Nort o Philly
I am not getting exactly what you are saying.

That's the downside of the internet, I guess.

Can you post a picture?

I would be more clear if we refer to engine mounts (ones that attach to the engine) and clam shell mounts ( being the mounts that attach to the frame).

The engine mounts , as you stated , can only go on one way or you would have to put the bolt in from behind.

Every clamshell I have used are the same size. They mount 2 bolts at the top,one at the bottom.

If one appears to be beefier, I would assume it is for the d/s since that takes the torque load.

You really have me thinking now,please post a picture.

As a side note, I always use a poly on the d/s and stock on the p/s.

3 tube headers are just that,they combine 2 center exhaust ports into one larger tube. Kinda look like 6 cylinder headers.

hed-28140_w.jpg

These are Hedman 28140.

They are a step up from logs but not as good as 4 tube headers.

Unless you are building a radical 350, don't build it like a chevy, they would be fine.

They are also easier to fit since you are dealing with one less tube.

I bought a high 12 second car that had a 400 running 3 tubes and another friend had a real mild 350 in the high 13z so they can't be "THAT" horrible.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor