1980 Mailbu Classic Coupe

Status
Not open for further replies.

BlueBu_INTHE312

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Feb 3, 2016
Hey all!

So i'm finally getting to build this Mailbu that's been in my family since new. It was originally purchased in Mexico and later imported to the states. It's been in my dad's garage being driven maybe once a month or so for the last 25 years. It's now in my name after my dad considered selling it for cheap, so I figured I could really have fun with this and make it something that I love and still get to build a muscle car.

Now, don't laugh... but the long term goal for this build is a DRIFT CAR. I've got a long ways to go.. but that's more the style that I'm into. I currently daily drive my 2015 civic si and previously owned an E46 BMW. My end goal is to get this Malibu to a point where I can drive it every weekend and take it to the track once in a while and get sideways for fun.

With that being said, that's a long way from happening. I'm not even sure if the engine it has in it would be good for that, I'm thinking I'll have to LSx swap at some point. But for now, I want to get this thing running reliably, throw some headers on it, and convert it to a manual gearbox.

First thing's first, I'm not 100% sure what engine is in it. My dad says it's a 350 SBC and it's been built at one point, and the transmission is a 3 speed built automatic transmission as well.

I would like to get the exact details on the engine so that I can fix the crazy oil leak. I'm thinking I'll have to replace a few gaskets. I'm thinking about just getting an entire gasket set and doing it all little by little in my spare time.

here's a video of the engine bay:

Can anyone get me info on that engine?

Also, does anyone know how hard it would be to swap a manual gearbox into this car? If there's an entire kit out there, that would be so awesome.

Pics coming soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor