1980 Malibu check engine light

Status
Not open for further replies.

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
I watch it on Netflix, so I binge-watched the last season in 3 nights. I'm pathetic.
Pathetic?... No. I was also a Breaking Bad fan, but started watching later in the series. I also binge watched to catch up and bring me up to speed.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

Bronze coupe!

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Feb 20, 2018
So thanks to everyone who chimes in it was the green connector near the end that I grounded. It gave me 2 codes one being 12 that’s just showing the diagnostic test is active than i have a code 55 looking it up it shows either ecm error or digital egr valve solenoid 3 error reading into it further it may be the o2 sensor so i may start there it starts right up and runs good a little rich but runs any thoughts??

Ribbedroof

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Jan 4, 2009
Wellston, OK
Do you have access to the OE manual's flow chart/diagnostic tree for the code 55?

Heck, I'll just post it anyway

T_sam_1781.jpg

Last edited:
  • Friendly
Reactions: 1 user

Ribbedroof

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Jan 4, 2009
Wellston, OK
If you look at the chart I posted, you'll see that the O2 sensor is only indicated as a possible fault on the 3.8 litre.

This demonstrates, to me, why having the correct manual is so critical. By using generic information obtained from other sources one can be led to unnecessary diagnostics or parts shotgunning.

Especially with early flash codes, there are many variables in a given code, since there were a limited number of codes available, as opposed to the OBDII, which has many more codes available, which can pinpoint things a lot more effectively.

Bronze coupe!

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Feb 20, 2018
Ok so Back to this check engine light I’ve got everything else in order with this car as far as the carb and body but this cel is killing me already replaced the tps according to the flow chart using my power probe i found blue wire to pin w for the mixture control solenoid keeps shorting our pulled the pin out and tested the connection at the ecm and i believe the short is internal on the ecm does anyone know where the ecm grounds to the block i want to verify good ground to the ecm before replacing it i know ecm ground to engine ground is pin T on ecm but where does it get grounded too i thought it was the rear of passenger head but don’t see it there

Bronze coupe!

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Feb 20, 2018
Does anyone have a ecm for a 1980 Malibu or el camino with a 305? Last 4 digits on part number are 6131 i can’t find one in any of the yards locally thanks

Bronze coupe!

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Feb 20, 2018
Good news I think I figured it out! So i cleaned up the ground for ecm and relocated it to the back side of the passenger cylinder head it was on the thermostat housing bolt and that still didn’t fix it than i seen a yellow wire with a brown connector actually 2 connectors one piggy backed off the other. It looked like it would go to the tach side of the dizzy. So i chased it back to the ecm and turned out to be pin A (tachometer) plugging that to the tach side of the dizzy got the cel to turn off. Now leading me to my next question when the engine starts the check engine light stays on for about 4-5 seconds before turning off is that normal?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor