1980 Malibu, Horn randomly honks while i drive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 6, 2018
Hey Guys, So i was driving my Malibu lately and randomly the horn honks while i'm driving. I couldn't really pinpoint whats causing this. It doesn't always happen when i turn it to a certain point, and it's not from pressure on the wheel. I honestly don't have a clue what is causing this. Do any of you have any ideas? I pulled off the horn pad and sprayed the back of it with electrical connector cleaner in case something was causing a connection, but its still doing it. My next step is probably pull off the steering wheel and take a look for frayed wires.
Have any of you had this problem before?

Here is a picture of what the back of the horn pad looks like
s-l1600.jpg

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
G-Body of the Month
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
Hey man, how about an introduction while you're at it?
It does sound like a short somewhere.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user
Aug 6, 2018
Hey, I'm just a 30 year old guy from southern California. My 1980 Malibu has been in my family longer than i have, and i fully intend for it to be there long after i'm gone. It's an original 1980 with 350, 4 barrel, th350. I think my next plans for it is to put an LS6 in it within the next few years. California doesn't want me to keep my car on the road, and it seems the only way i can do it is by updating the engine ( it fails their standards every time i need to smog it). But first things first, i need to quit honking at everyone as i drive by! haha

airboatgreg

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 2, 2016
probably the horn pad is deteriorating on the inside and grounding the relay. Disconnect the steering wheel pad and see if it still happens

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

motorheadmike

Geezer
Nov 18, 2009
Saskatchewan, Truckistan
Worn column causing the clock spring to close the circuit?

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
If you randomly pick your nose with your middle finger to have it occur the same time as the horn honks randomly I'll bet you can have some fun with it.

Ok, maybe that's not the best idea - I might meet you and have to shake your hand.

I'd follow airboatgreg's advice to nail down where the problem is occurring.

Good luck :)

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users

Ribbedroof

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Jan 4, 2009
Wellston, OK
Worn column causing the clock spring to close the circuit?

Oh, you young guys....this was WAY before clock springs.

My guesses...airboatgreg's scenario, or the spring loaded contact sleeve is not locking into the "hook" on the cancel cam.

Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor