1980 Malibu - How do I get the radio face plate off?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Michael Bennett

Greasemonkey
Jun 7, 2018
This might seem silly but I don't want to break it.. Took the four screws out but the cigarette lighter is part of the face plate and it doesn't want to pull out of the dash more than a half inch or so. I really don't want to force it and break it. Is there some kind of trick to it?

Ribbedroof

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Jan 4, 2009
Wellston, OK
It's a tight fit through the hole, especially now after the dash shell/vinyl has had almost 40 years to shrink.

I just have to really pull on mine, the lighter plug will come off of the housing. On mine, the hole in the dash shell is not very round, so I line up the legs of the plug best I can with the wide spots in the hole, but it fights me the next time the radio bezel comes out anyway.

Michael Bennett

Greasemonkey
Jun 7, 2018
Don't you have to unscrew the bezel off the the lighter?
No, the lighter base is crimped to the bezel. It won't slide out of the dash. Everything is free except the back of the lighter. It comes out so far and then stops.

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
The bezel/socket is retained by screwing the two halves together regardless of which style is used. After all these years they might of seized,

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

Michael Bennett

Greasemonkey
Jun 7, 2018
Okay, I had to drop the glove box door so I could reach in the back and unplug the lighter. The plug is too big to fit through the hole unless it is just right and the lighter is a tight fit as well. Also, I opened up the hole for the lighter so the plug should come through next time without such a struggle.

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
On my Monte the clip on the back of the lighter catches in the hole but since I have a cut off switch for my car I stick my thumb in the lighter socket and usually have to wiggle it a little and pull on the bezel to get it to clear the hole

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor