1980 Malibu Lap Belt Change.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

WV CHEVY MANN

Greasemonkey
Sep 15, 2018
West Virginia
Hello forum... I was just wondering if anyone here has tried to change the Lap belt retraction from that flimsy plastic retractor that goes through the door pillar. I have been searching for a way to delete the original setup for a more user friendly method (but safe of course) without going to a Simpson Racing Seat with the 5-point harness. Thanks for any ideas you might have or one that you might have already done.

Ribbedroof

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Jan 4, 2009
Wellston, OK
Are you trying to delete the slack locking feature (which I wish new stuff had)? I hate belts that pull against you all the time.

The retractor levers are available new

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

WV CHEVY MANN

Greasemonkey
Sep 15, 2018
West Virginia
Are you trying to delete the slack locking feature (which I wish new stuff had)? I hate belts that pull against you all the time.

The retractor levers are available new
Hello... Not really but the drivers side will not tighten up across my chest. And the passenger side is way to tight for an adult. Now my grandson no problem. It just seems these are problematic. What would you suggest ? Just trying to get this issue fixed. I said lap belt but its actually the belt that goes across your chest. It just hangs loose while driving (not good). Thanks for your follow up my friend..

Last edited:

Ribbedroof

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Jan 4, 2009
Wellston, OK
I ran across these when I was researching places to reweb my belts

https://www.seatbeltplanet.com/i-30...-push-button-buckle.html?ref=category:1389192

If the door release levers are present and connected, you should be able to pull the belt out slightly until it ratchets, and release the belt to stop it trying to retract all the time. When the door opens, the ratchet releases and the belt returns to the spool.

In my experience, belts that hang loose are either dirty, sun-baked and hardened/stiffened, or frayed.

Like I said, I really like the OE design, at least when it is all present and working.

Reactions: 1 user

WV CHEVY MANN

Greasemonkey
Sep 15, 2018
West Virginia
Thanks so much for your follow up and the attached links. That will be perfect for me. I think you are correct with going to the original set ups.. I will try to locate 2 new or good used retractors and keep them in the door pillars as was designed. Much appreciated.

Ribbedroof

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Jan 4, 2009
Wellston, OK

Doug Chahoy

Comic Book Super Hero
Nov 21, 2016
I replaced my seat belts with new ones that have the retracting mechanism built in. Eliminating the piece of factory junk in the door jam. I did mine while doing all my body work so I welded a patch in the whole.

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor