1980 malibu ls swap

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vaughn3031

Greasemonkey
Jul 23, 2013
Sarnia, ontario
So here we go.... Few photos of the car and my progress so far. Its a 5.3 that ive started the rebuild on with the following;

-Gm muscle car pan
-Ls7 cam .558/.558 with 1.7 rockers 211/230 duration
-Ls7 timing cover gear and chain with front cam sensor
-Ls6 beehive springs
-Ls7 lifters (gm now uses these as the stock replacement for all ls engines)
-factory bottom end refresh
-plan to run a holley 300-130 dual plane with msd 6010
- not a clue what im doing for mounts
- would like to find out which header jacobdavis1979 used as his fit well
Malibu 2015.jpg

What I started with
gbody1.jpg

the old engine
gbody 2.jpg

gbody 3.jpg

3 angle job on the 862's
gbody 4.jpg

bearings after 200,000 miles!!! they look new!!
gbody 5.jpg

engine almost there...
g body 6.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users

L.A.X-RATED

Royal Smart Person
Aug 25, 2010
Oh yeah now you are talking my L.A.nguage!!! Welcome to the club!!!looking forward to the start-up:)

Reactions: 1 user

Vaughn3031

Greasemonkey
Jul 23, 2013
Sarnia, ontario
so have many of you had success with a mount and factory cross member? I know a 1" setback plate will work just some of them seem to put quite an upward angle on the front of the motor

Vaughn3031

Greasemonkey
Jul 23, 2013
Sarnia, ontario
I think im going with the UMI mounts, sorry for the lack of updates also, in Florida right now, once i get back to the Great White North, I'll post more updates

Garrett1982

G-Body Guru
May 18, 2014
Uniontown, Pa
I'm looking forward to seeing how the UMI mounts work for you. You have a jump on me with the engine and I still have to buy a converter and get the transbrake installed before I stick it all in. Uncharted waters with the Iceman crossmember, I haven't seen anyone else use the new style one on here, but I will get it figured out and get a good pinion angle when its all said and done.

Vaughn3031

Greasemonkey
Jul 23, 2013
Sarnia, ontario
Im still up in the air with what i want to do for mounts, I dont really want to get a new crossmember, also im going to make my own mount for the alternator that will act as the tensioner. As dont have power steering or ac. Im also in the middle of rebuilding my rear end with a locker and 373 gears have, ls1 rear brakes that i need to get rid of since i dont want to change wheels. Because of this i was wanting to run a transmission with a overdrive. But....also have factory pedals to do a manual swsp hahaha. On top of all of this, im doing the blazer front brake swap as well.

Garrett1982

G-Body Guru
May 18, 2014
Uniontown, Pa
Im still up in the air with what i want to do for mounts, I dont really want to get a new crossmember, also im going to make my own mount for the alternator that will act as the tensioner. As dont have power steering or ac. Im also in the middle of rebuilding my rear end with a locker and 373 gears have, ls1 rear brakes that i need to get rid of since i dont want to change wheels. Because of this i was wanting to run a transmission with a overdrive. But....also have factory pedals to do a manual swsp hahaha. On top of all of this, im doing the blazer front brake swap as well.
Nice. All I need is calipers then I'm done with the blazer swap. No power steering or a/c here either. I am going to get a crank pully for a camaro, most likely an ATI, and do the BMR low mount alternator bracket.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor