1980 Malibu SS 4speed??

Status
Not open for further replies.

66&2/3

n00b
Jan 21, 2018
Nice looking car
That car is Not a factory car however, it is a dealer option ss that came with a 305. That car came out of Chevy Dealer in Nutley NJ. I believe that dealer sold 120-150 of those cars. I know that car very well, I did most of the work on it when the original owner had it, he passed away several years ago. It does not have the original trans, it has an upgrade Muncie, not original 350 but mild, very drivable motor. Rear was also completely redone including suspension parts. Never abused or raced, I know the current owner bought it and never drives it (shame), Anyway the rug was cut because Gus (original owner) put a manual 5 speed trans in it, he didn't like the way it rode so decided on the Muncie and I believe 342 gears. That car is spotless last time I saw it in 2013. The shift boot was in the truck I remember that. This car was never a daily driver but def can be and should be.

• Informative
Reactions: 1 users

bracketchev1221

Royal Smart Person
Jan 18, 2018
Yes this is true, they only came with the cast Saginaw 4 speeds. I had a 78 and I knew someone with an 80. According to Super chevy back then, there was 1654 78 4 speeds, 1900 something 79's and 202 4 speeds in 1980 built in the US. I do believe this car was down to 10,000 in price. It may have sold and then relisted at 15,000. But it is a very clean car.

Reactions: 1 users

vanrah

G-Body Guru
Apr 16, 2013
Near Afton, Wisconsin
Greetings H/O84 & all; 99% of the response is correct! But you still could buy the car if it fits your desires. From what I've learned over the years is the wagons & high altitude package cars out West were available with the LM-1. As previously said the 9C1's could be had with 3 or 4 engine options, the Lm-1 being the top dog (& I mean DOG). I know because I ordered one & still have it a two (2) door. Very exclusive for sure as I've only seen one other 9C1 two door & I don't know if it had the Lm-1 (joke) engine. As mine was a POS, I should of ordered the 4 speed with the 305 because the Lm-1 I received was the worse engine I had ever received from GM! I've never purchased another new Chevy since. As the zone manager didn't like me or the dealer very much & told me to take a hike. The brakes were FULL metallic (sintered iron) & wouldn't even stop the car on a cold day. Then if their was any moister on the road the rears would lock up. Needless to say I had to do brakes with weeks of taking delivery. If ya want or need more info on it (The Bronze brick) get some caffeine & check out my post. GM made NO SS Malibu's during the 78 - 80 production run. Ole' Bob.

Reactions: 1 user

H/O84

Greasemonkey
Nov 29, 2016
I was looking for a manual car at the time but sadly the seller never responded to me so I convinced a friend to sell me his 84 Hurst after letting it sit neglected in bare metal for 17 years. Funny how many people to f*** off cause he was never selling it. I got lucky and bugged enough him when his wife was forcing him to sell stuff so they could move. That Malibu would have been alot better car for me since I can't do body work but I've had manuals but never experienced lightning rods before.
Screenshot_20180116-114034.jpg

michmalibuman

Royal Smart Person
Jun 14, 2017
Mine's a factory 4 speed, tilt column, bench seat, and 8 track.

Attachments

• 81.jpeg
    81.jpeg
    854.3 KB · Views: 261
  • Winner
Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor