1980 Monte 6 cylinder starter

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 15, 2016
I have a 1980 Monte 6 cylinder and I had the starter replaced a year ago. The car is fully restored and only driven in the summer so it has less than 500 miles on the new starter. Took it out today and all was good. Later in the day I went to put it in the garage and the starter now makes a horrible screeching sound and won't turn the engine. Sounds like train brakes when they are applied if that helps. Is it a bad starter ? I don't think it's a flywheel issue because it's never slipped. Help :(

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
Maybe the solenoid has failed and doesn't have the strength to engage the starter drive gear into the ring gear on the flywheel. What brand is the replacement starter?

Oct 15, 2016
Maybe the solenoid has failed and doesn't have the strength to engage the starter drive gear into the ring gear on the flywheel. What brand is the replacement starter?
The mechanic said it was an AC Delco when he replaced it. It's always been loud which is found strange back then. The original one was quieter but it would stick of I started the car again too soon after driving. I beeline they had that issue since new.

Opie Knievel

Rum Fueled Midnight Mechanic and Moderator
Sep 6, 2010
Brodhead, Kentucky
If there's anyway you could make a video of the sound when you're trying to start it I bet we could figure it out quicker.

ssn696

Living in the Past
Supporting Member
Jul 19, 2009
Permanent Temporary
That screeching sound is likely to be teeth being ground off your flexplate when the starter gear does not fully slide out into place. I'd remove it and take it to Autozone and have them do a free function test on it. That will show if the engagement solenoid is not working.

The removing and replacing a GM starter, make sure you not the location of the trigger wire. The trigger wire is best accessed in my experience using a 8mm small wrench. A small mirror saves the day. Make sure you don't mix up locations. GM has a second small electrical stud that provides no joy if you accidentally attach it there. I know this for a fact...

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
I wonder if the bolts might have gotten loose?

ssn696

Living in the Past
Supporting Member
Jul 19, 2009
Permanent Temporary
I wonder if the bolts might have gotten loose?
The first step in the Easter Egg Hunt. 9/16". If they are indeed loose, pull one at a time and make sure they have the knurling on them, which helps keep them in place.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor