1980 monte carlo cranking but not starting

Status
Not open for further replies.

jessedukhia

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Dec 4, 2014
Hi I have a 80 monte carlo that is cranking but is not starting. Fuel is going to the carburetor and battery has 12v charge and terminals/connections seem fine. The car cranks then when i stop cranking makes a clicking noise. Does anybody have any suggestions as to why my car is not starting?

81Regal

Royal Smart Person
Apr 5, 2009
Terril Iowa
Pull a plug wire off the engine, and either pull a sparkplug from the engine or use an old plug. Hold the end of the wire with the plug in it against the exhaust manifold and have somebody else crank the car over to see if there is spark. If there is no spark check if you have 12 V to the distributor, if you do its likely the module went bad but possibly a bad distributor cap/rotor or plug wires.

jessedukhia

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Dec 4, 2014
Hi, yes this problem happened without warning. i just warmed the car up and backed it out of my garage. I turned off the car because I had to do some other stuff went back to car to start and it wouldn't start. The car has never given me any issues starting before. The engine has never been sitting without being started longer then a week.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor