1980 Monte Carlo No Spark Condition

Status
Not open for further replies.

jessedukhia

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Dec 4, 2014
I have a 80 monte carlo with a HEI distributor. I have a no spark condition. I have replaced the ignition coil in the distributor cap and the ignition module inside the distributor. I tested the pickup coil with a multimeter and gave a reading of 744 ohms, which according to the internet is ok. Anybody have any ideas why I am still getting no spark?

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
did you forget to put the rotor on?....might sound like a stupid question but I've seen it done more than once. When you put the coil in did you put the pin and spring in place? Is there power on the pink wire? Is the distributor grounded?

jessedukhia

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Dec 4, 2014
did you forget to put the rotor on?....might sound like a stupid question but I've seen it done more than once. Is there power on the pink wire? Is the distributor grounded?

Hi thx for the reply. The rotor is definitely on. How do I check if the distributor is grounded? I did hook all wires back on to it. Which pink wire are you referring to?

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
I edited my post and asked about the pin and spring for the coil.

the pink wire is the power feed to the distributor. You can test the ground with a test light

V6IgnitionSystem.jpg

jessedukhia

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Dec 4, 2014
Hi Tested the pink wire with my multimeter put car battery in on position and 12v showed on my multi meter. Pink wire is connected to ignition coil correct? I did put back the pin and spring back in the coil. Im confused about how to test the ground on the distributor is there a wire?

truracer20

Master Mechanic
Feb 16, 2014
western PA
Check for bad wires inside of the distributor, the ones connected to the module.

Reactions: 1 user

foxtrot

Royal Smart Person
Dec 19, 2008
USA
Hi Tested the pink wire with my multimeter put car battery in on position and 12v showed on my multi meter. Pink wire is connected to ignition coil correct? I did put back the pin and spring back in the coil. Im confused about how to test the ground on the distributor is there a wire?

Is the 12 volt "pink wire" connected to the 'batt' terminal?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor