1980 Olds Cutlass 442

Status
Not open for further replies.

TDY442

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Nov 5, 2018
Katy, Texas
I'm new to this forum and I'm looking for some feedback.

I have a 1980 Olds Cutlass 442 W-30 that I bought new from Dale Baker Oldsmobile in Grand Rapids, Michigan in 1980. I moved & drove it to Texas in 1982 and eventually took it off the road (1984) at 23,*** miles , it now has 25,*** miles. In 1980 GM produced 354 in White & Gold (about same # in Black & Gold).....not sure how many had T-tops (mine does). Over the last 20 or so years I have casually considered searching out a collector that would like to add this gem to their line-up, but never pulled the trigger. My now 30 yr old son has a real interest in it so I will likely just keep it.

Because Auto Manufacturers had the EPA stepping on their heads in this era, my 442 is loaded up with all the emissions BS and came with a paltry 170 hp @ 3800 RPM and 275 torque @ 2000 RPM. I have already extracted the catalytic converter and no longer have a belt running the air pump. I have been in preliminary conversation with a very well known auto performance group in Katy, Texas that feels like they can "open up" my L34 350 by totally extracting the emisisons components, along with replacing the factory Rockchester carburetor with a Holley, adding dual exhaust and replacing some of the ignition components. I'm not listing the enhancements in great detail as the specifics would be documented once I leave my vehicle with them for an assessment, feedback & quote.

It is important to point out why I'm even considering moving from all original to minor modifications. After watching Mecum auctions for years and doing some research, there doesn't seem to be a market for this particular vehicle, possibly due to there being so few that owners are holding them. So I thought why not have a little more fun with it for car shows & Sunday drives. I would obviously hang onto the handful of parts that would be removed.

Any insight or feedback would be greatly appeciated.

Attachments

• 442.JPG
    442.JPG
    97.5 KB · Views: 1,732
Reactions: 4 users

Wraith

Royal Smart Person
Jan 13, 2013
DFW, TX
Welcome, beautiful car and awesome that you are the original owner. Dual exhaust will help, performance recurve on distributor will help, I'd pass on the Holley carb as a well built Quadrajet will be better but some of our resident Olds people will be along to help further.

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users

GP403

Administrator
Site Admin
Feb 25, 2005
Rolla, MO
Welcome, beautiful car and awesome that you are the original owner. Dual exhaust will help, performance recurve on distributor will help, I'd pass on the Holley carb as a well built Quadrajet will be better but some of our resident Olds people will be along to help further.

^^ This. Plus I would add a better intake like an Edelbrock performer. Open up the breathing on the top and the bottom is the best thing to do. You're right though, "bone stock" its not at its best. It's not the same game as the 60's muscle cars and I doubt it ever will be. Leave the Q-jet alone.

I didn't see a gear ratio listed (assuming its a TH350 trans) but if its not already, I would upgrade it to a 3.x series posi axle. With the added torque from breathing better you'll really feel it. Maybe even mild suspension upgrades (shocks/springs/sway bars) to go with it.

Reactions: 1 user

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
h6A78FD43

Hee hee......….you wanna wake it up? Put an LS engine in it. *runs and hides*

• Haha
Reactions: 6 users

michmalibuman

Royal Smart Person
Jun 14, 2017
Welcome TDY 442, There only original once but in this case you being the original owner and keeping all the original parts I would make it fun to drive. Lots of good info here and everyone is willing to help you out.:cool:

Gonzo1970

G-Body Guru
Sep 30, 2018
Welcome! Very nice ride! Always had a soft spot for Cuttys.

Removing Emissions is an interesting subject. I just obtained a 86 Grand Prix, Bone Stock, with a 305 that's loaded up with emissions out of the proverbial Grandma's Garage in the middle of Nowhere, OH..

I may save you some questions from the reading I've done. I've never stripped emissions before, so wanted to do research first before I looked into stripping mine.... This is what I am understanding so far:

First off, Stripping Emissions isn't going to magically create a ton of horsepower. The By-Product OF stripping the emissions will.

What I mean is, the engine now is producing what it would without emissions on it, IF The Components all worked Properly Without the Emissions System - which they don't, and need replaced.

You would be getting your power from changing the things that don't jive WITHOUT a Computer (Distrib and Carb), or vice-versa - Computer don't jive Without THEM (O2 sensors)...

So, you're looking at replacing the following: Distributor, Intake Manifold, Carb, Headers, Exhaust..

Just adding those to any engine is typically referred to as "Letting it breathe" and makes noticeably more power.. Not the fact that you just scrapped a 30+ year old emissions system.

I have already obtained my Headers and Exhaust System.. I am looking into Distributor, Intake, and Carb now.. Then I will probably be stripping mine, cleaning up the engine compartment a bit, and dressing it up a little.. maybe even a serpentine system, retaining the A/C.. Anything I put on will transfer over to a 350 should the 305 go south, but with 50k miles on it, its probably going to last quite awhile longer.

*tosses $0.02 on the table*

-Gonz

Reactions: 2 users

paul.m

Master Mechanic
Oct 20, 2018
Wow how cool is that , to have bought it new ! Nice looking car , your right to go ahead and have a little fun with it , it will take another generation to appreciate and move the value of the g body cars , and im not sure if they will ever have the following of the 60,s and early 70,s cars . We all grew up hearing the stories of the tire smoking, wheel standing cars of that era ! That,s half of what made them so poplar . But i can tell you from having over a half dozen of them over the years , they will never ride , drive , or be as comfortable as the ole g body . Have you ever run across any 442 4 speed cars ?

Gonzo1970

G-Body Guru
Sep 30, 2018
Wow how cool is that , to have bought it new ! Nice looking car , your right to go ahead and have a little fun with it , it will take another generation to appreciate and move the value of the g body cars , and im not sure if they will ever have the following of the 60,s and early 70,s cars . We all grew up hearing the stories of the tire smoking, wheel standing cars of that era ! That,s half of what made them so poplar . But i can tell you from having over a half dozen of them over the years , they will never ride , drive , or be as comfortable as the ole g body . Have you ever run across any 442 4 speed cars ?

I ran across a Cutlass that was a manual quite some time back.. It was a 2 door salon.. the hatchback looking one. The guy hated it, but I wasn't in the position to buy it at the time.

-Gonz

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor