1980 Oldsmobile Cutlass 442 W-30

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rokztarz

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Oct 15, 2015
I recently Purchased a 1980 Oldsmobile cutlass 442 W-30, Or soo it appeared. Not really knowing a whole lot about the vehicle, and with some minor research, I concluded the deal for $1000 dollars would be worth it, even though I know the car needs some work. With that being said, the owner claimed it was a 350/350. The car has all the 442 badging, except for the 442 emblems on the inside of the doors above the pull handle. Also, after the engine quit, (to my luck) and my mechanic has been scratching his head about the actual engine size, contemplating if it is a 403. I have tried to look up the vin, and have been unsuccessful with only one vin decoder site claiming it's a calais with the 350, but not clarifying if it's a 442, W-30. I have also sent a request to GMheritagecenter.com, with the option to pay for that information but haven't had a response. The car is a Canadian Car, purchased in Alberta where I live, and I have contacted the dealerships with no such luck as well. If anyone has any more help/ideas, it would be greatly appreciated.

Blake442

Geezer
Apr 24, 2007
Minneapolis
The 442 was not a separate model in the G-body years, it was an option that could be added to the Calais or Salon, depending on the particular year. The your case the Calais.
The 442 was also the only Cutlass to receive the gas 350 engine in 1980, so your VIN confirms the car is a real 442.

As for determining what motor is actually in the car now, just look at the casting numbers.

Rokztarz

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Oct 15, 2015
Is it common to not have 442 badging inside the doors, or interior??

Rokztarz

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Oct 15, 2015
$_27.JPG
this was the orginal picture I was sent after I replied to the ad.

Rokztarz

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Oct 15, 2015
I recently Purchased a 1980 Oldsmobile cutlass 442 W-30, Or soo it appeared. Not really knowing a whole lot about the vehicle, and with some minor research, I concluded the deal for $1000 dollars would be worth it, even though I know the car needs some work. With that being said, the owner claimed it was a 350/350. The car has all the 442 badging, except for the 442 emblems on the inside of the doors above the pull handle. Also, after the engine quit, (to my luck) and my mechanic has been scratching his head about the actual engine size, contemplating if it is a 403. I have tried to look up the vin, and have been unsuccessful with only one vin decoder site claiming it's a calais with the 350, but not clarifying if it's a 442, W-30. I have also sent a request to GMheritagecenter.com, with the option to pay for that information but haven't had a response. The car is a Canadian Car, purchased in Alberta where I live, and I have contacted the dealerships with no such luck as well. If anyone has any more help/ideas, it would be greatly appreciated.
PICS ATTACHED

Rokztarz

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Oct 15, 2015
Is it common to not have 442 badging inside the doors, or interior??
And can anyone tell me the difference with the side light markers? the ones on this model are larger than other 442 models I've seen on the net.

Rokztarz

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Oct 15, 2015
Here was the culprit for the engine malfunction the other day.
IMG_3356.jpeg

liquidh8

Comic Book Super Hero
Gotta love the nylon timing gears.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor