1980 Pontiac LeMans Station Wagon - G-T-faux (stuck with it, and can't shake it... like a bad case of herpes)

Status
Not open for further replies.

motorheadmike

Geezer
Nov 18, 2009
Saskatchewan, Truckistan
  • Haha
Reactions: 1 users

motorheadmike

Geezer
Nov 18, 2009
Saskatchewan, Truckistan
Got my parts in from O. D. Showtime (thanks again for saving my bacon!) and popped the tailgate lock into place. I also put some Strong Arm D4404 liftgate struts on in order to cut down on the concussions. No issues accessing the nitrous now.

IMG_20200908_173427.jpg

Next up are the door locks.

I should probably research how to do that... before I start randomly drilling things.

Reactions: 7 users

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas

motorheadmike

Geezer
Nov 18, 2009
Saskatchewan, Truckistan
So in my quest to finish rekeying the wagon I jumped into doing the doors. I've only ever taken these apart, never a full re&re. The driver's side came apart and went together well enough.

The passenger side was full of surprises. First, the upper door panel wouldn't release from the door (so I was going in blind-ish). Second, and most importantly, after blindly popping off the lock retaining clip, I came to quickly realize the pawl (lock lever arm) was missing. It wasn't in the door (other interesting things were).

Might explain why I could never unlock the door with a key. Duh.

I knew there was some spare parts from a set of Monte doors in a box on the shelf. I found the pawl retention clip, but the 2-door pawl wasn't even close to suitable (I knew this going in).

So if anyone (O. D. Showtime) has a PS pawl for a sedan/wagon handy it would be greatly appreciated - because I don't want to dig out my spare doors from the shed to retrieve such a tiny part.

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users

O. D. Showtime

Comic Book Super Hero
Feb 6, 2009
Regina Sask. Canada
So in my quest to finish rekeying the wagon I jumped into doing the doors. I've only ever taken these apart, never a full re&re. The driver's side came apart and went together well enough.

The passenger side was full of surprises. First, the upper door panel wouldn't release from the door (so I was going in blind-ish). Second, and most importantly, after blindly popping off the lock retaining clip, I came to quickly realize the pawl (lock lever arm) was missing. It wasn't in the door (other interesting things were).

I knew there was some spare parts from a set of Monte doors in a box on the shelf. I found the pawl retention clip, but the 2-door pawl wasn't even close to suitable (I knew this going in).

So if anyone (O. D. Showtime) has a PS pawl for a sedan/wagon handy it would be greatly appreciated - because I don't want to dig out my spare doors from the shed to retrieve such a tiny part.

Michael...I've got nothing on hand right now...I do have the interior pretty much gutted on this Pontiac wagon so have easy access to the locks...

20200222_141015.jpg

We closed the trailer up for the season this last weekend so now I can get back in the yards..could go this weekend.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users

motorheadmike

Geezer
Nov 18, 2009
Saskatchewan, Truckistan
Michael...I've got nothing on hand right now...I do have the interior pretty much gutted on this Pontiac wagon so have easy access to the locks...

View attachment 157219

We closed the trailer up for the season this last weekend so now I can get back in the yards..could go this weekend.

When you get chance it would be appreciated.

motorheadmike

Geezer
Nov 18, 2009
Saskatchewan, Truckistan
Stretched it's legs to redline a few times. I really need to drive this thing more often.

IMG_20201017_153846.jpg

IMG_20201017_153907.jpg

Reactions: 11 users

DJHull

Master Mechanic
Apr 28, 2015
Lansing, Mi
The ongoing build thread is here: http://ls1tech.com/forums/conversions-h ... wagon.html

I do have some wagon specific questions/needs:

1. Does anyone know if these are correct (because the picture is clearly incorrect) window seals (and fit well) for a G-body wagon? http://www.ss396.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?S ... Code=gbody

2. Where can I source the trim around the A-pillar and drip rails (aka. the drip rail moldings)?; and

3. Is there a source for the rear hatch/tailgate weather stripping?

Thanks!

View attachment 28362
What a BEAST!

• Agree

Ribbedroof

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Jan 4, 2009
Wellston, OK

I can't remember, are they the flat ones like this?

SAM_2098.JPG

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor