1980 Pontiac LeMans Station Wagon - G-T-faux (stuck with it, and can't shake it... like a bad case of herpes)

Status
Not open for further replies.

motorheadmike

Geezer
Nov 18, 2009
Saskatchewan, Truckistan
Dropped the wheels off for refinishing last week, should have them back in early-Feb.

This weekend was about doing a bunch of little things as time allowed. Ran the nitrous main line from the back to front, and for some reason I felt compelled to build the adapters for the inner coils for the weight-jacker setup. I will post pics after they are painted, currently they are sitting in some Evaporust getting cleaned up.

Reactions: 1 user

motorheadmike

Geezer
Nov 18, 2009
Saskatchewan, Truckistan
Sooooo... here's the thing. Natasha has a few basic criteria for this car:

1. Safety (already covered with big sticky tires, LS1 brakes, and nice handling components);
2. Air Conditioning/Comfort (insulated interior, and modified the motor mounts and frame to suit the stock compressor; on going but shouldn't be an issue); and
3. Roll-down Rear Windows.

I know that last one looks like it is less probable/possible at first blush. I have read multiple threads about how/why it has been said that cannot be done - defeatist attitudes, I say! My thought is that it can be partially achieved. There are so many sedans that only have partial roll-down windows (both manual and electric). Hell, if you can put electric power windows in a 32 Ford roadster - these cars can crack a window too; even it if it is just half way down.

I have the rear doors on the Lemans sedan to play with, and ironically the interior in the wagon already as power window switches. A couple of small car regulators should be easy to install, and the windows already sit in guided frames.

Where there is a welder, there is a way.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users

motorheadmike

Geezer
Nov 18, 2009
Saskatchewan, Truckistan
Still chipping away at things little by little. Got back to fitting the Pypes exhaust, and I am using that term loosely. While definitely not the worst kit on the market, it darn sure isn't the best. The general fitment is being a bit of a chore finding acceptable clearances around critical parts (things that move, things that aid stopping, and things that go boom if they get too hot) and the lack of predetermined hangers provides little guidance for the installation process. Then there is the issue of fitting the mid-pipes and the x-pipe which is a complete and total debacle, especially as it relates to the pipes running under the floorboards; I am going to have to get some adjustability into the hangers (which I also have to build, another nice bonus) to lower them as necessary. About the only positives are the front pipes are centred under the G-force cross member, and the QTP cutouts fit snugly into the pockets under the rear seats.

After picking metal slivers out of my raw back (I really need to get a hoist), I decided that I should remain upright and measured for the push rods. Picked up an 8" caliper and a Comp Cams adjustable push rod - a few hours later (lots of triple checking) the numbers are in. Time to order some sticks.

Attachments

• 4a.jpg
    4a.jpg
    348.6 KB · Views: 239
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    327.7 KB · Views: 228
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    397.8 KB · Views: 237
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    318.6 KB · Views: 237
Reactions: 2 users

axisg

Comic Book Super Hero
Jul 17, 2007
YYZ
I hear ya on the whole hoist situation ! Keep inching along, I am sure it will turn out great

motorheadmike

Geezer
Nov 18, 2009
Saskatchewan, Truckistan
I hear ya on the whole hoist situation ! Keep inching along, I am sure it will turn out great

Thanks, my aging Infantry knees are playing an interesting tune these days.

gthmcty1

Greasemonkey
Feb 18, 2010
Thanks, my aging Infantry knees are playing an interesting tune these days.

I hear ya on the knees!!!! I too am trying my hand the back windows rolling down I was in the JY and I cam across a B-body wagon and thought that the mechanisms could be "adapted" to the Gbody wagon...I will keep you posted with what I come up with as well and we could probaly put our heads together and "presto"!!!!

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
Ever thought of an early J-body (Cav, SunBird) or Chevette rear doors for donors? Maybe the key is smaller doors. Or even something that would be used in a kit car?

motorheadmike

Geezer
Nov 18, 2009
Saskatchewan, Truckistan
I looked at the mid-90s B-bodies as an option but they seem to have a high failure rate. Small cars, especially late-model stuff, should be viable. Thinking SMART car.

motorheadmike

Geezer
Nov 18, 2009
Saskatchewan, Truckistan
Here is a little side project that I have been working on. Still tweaking the font and aging, as compared to the original text at the top and bottom. Collecting the content has been the biggest challenge.

Attachments

• window_sticker 1980 - tester.jpg
    window_sticker 1980 - tester.jpg
    388.2 KB · Views: 222

liquidh8

Comic Book Super Hero
Here is a little side project that I have been working on. Still tweaking the font and aging, as compared to the original text at the top and bottom. Collecting the content has been the biggest challenge.
I have installed many pypes systems, while they fit OK, I modified every one to fine "RIGHT". Looking good Mike.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor