1980 Pontiac LeMans Station Wagon - G-T-faux (stuck with it, and can't shake it... like a bad case of herpes)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ed1948

Royal Smart Person
Aug 6, 2016
Quinte West, Ontario
Needs a bumper sticker.
...I'M NOT RACING - I'M ON MY WAY TO HOME DEPOT

Reactions: 1 user

motorheadmike

Geezer
Nov 18, 2009
Saskatchewan, Truckistan

motorheadmike

Geezer
Nov 18, 2009
Saskatchewan, Truckistan
The car is experiencing a fuel pressure drop at WOT of ~6psi (or 10%). Not good.

motorheadmike

Geezer
Nov 18, 2009
Saskatchewan, Truckistan

motorheadmike

Geezer
Nov 18, 2009
Saskatchewan, Truckistan
We took the wagon to the local car show tonight - the girls are always game for some A&W.

So we got home from the daycare pick up, quickly slammed the kids into the wagon, and while it was warming up I noticed it was making a HORRIBLE rattling noise. I went into diagnostic mode, it was not consistent with throttle modulation, next step pull the belt - that resulted in the alternator pulley practically falling off. It was just hanging on with a miracle and a prayer. Strange that it was still charging. 10 minutes later I had raped a spare alternator for its pulley, lock washer, nut, and shim - slammed it all together with some blue Loctite. Noise gone. Might even be the source of the lean condition under load.

The car was a hit at the show and made the trip to and from without issue. I even got Natasha worked up when the car broke the drag radials loose from a roll when we were leaving - I think she has seen a few too many cars and coffee Mustang crash videos.

Also there is a collective demand for working A/C.

• Winner
Reactions: 2 users

online170

G-Body Guru
Oct 28, 2010
Also there is a collective demand for working A/C.

As a driver in a wagon, its very easy to forget that the rear windows dont really open. To distract from the discomfort i keep my passengers occupied with the monster tach and light which is mounted front and center. New passengers always ask "what is that?" and i always reply "FUN-LIGHT". It always requires more explanation, so i explain, "when the light comes on, you are having fun". Still confused passengers then require a demonstration, after which no one remembers that there is no AC and instead are always thankful to be alive and having fun.

• Winner
Reactions: 2 users

motorheadmike

Geezer
Nov 18, 2009
Saskatchewan, Truckistan
Yeah well Natasha's level of appreciation for my mechanical prowess dwindles quickly when she is sitting in a sweltering car. I guess I know what I am working on this weekend.

liquidh8

Comic Book Super Hero
Good thing you caught that pulley, that could have been a disaster.
One of my priorities for the wagon was ac, it got it working fine with all new parts. The wife won't ride in it without it.

Sent from my Z981 using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor