1981 Buick Regal

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brodman

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Aug 29, 2017
I purchased this car at an estate sale last week. It's a one owner car with 34K original miles. The car is a V-6 with very little rust. As you can see from the picture, it needs the bumper fillers, which I am currently sourcing and it needs a new roof liner. Other than that it's a solid car. I'm indecisive on what to do with it though. My gut says, replace the engine and drive train with more power, add some nice wheels and a new stereo, but part of me wants to leave it stock, bench seat and all. Ideas?
regal81.jpg

Reactions: 3 users

Gonzo1970

G-Body Guru
Sep 30, 2018
If there was a market for "Stock, Numbers Matching" G-Bodies (aside from Hurst Olds, GN's, GNX's, 442's and the like) then I would be telling you its more valuable in Stock, Numbers Matching Condition than modified.

Now, understanding that there ISN'T a market for them in Stock Condition... I'd say do what you want, and if you want to be on the safe side, Keep Everything, granting the Ability to put it back to Stock, Numbers Matching in case anything Changed..

Add to that.. I HAVE a Pure Stock 1986 GP I got from the person that Ordered it in 1985 with 50k original miles... and Im not planning on leaving it stock...

Welcome to the club.

-Gonz

85442/86buick

G-Body Guru
Feb 12, 2013
Perth Country , Ontario
Welcome ,

my first thoughts are to do the bumper fillers / the head liner and some wheels . Plus a good going over ..............brakes / fluids / ETC . And drive it this Summer !!!

Thinking , researching , plan your plan of attack over the summer.

The Rabbit Hole gets deep fast.......Enjoy >

Reactions: 1 user

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
I would want something else under the hood but I will second the vote to improve it, keep it running and enjoy it this summer. Consider a gear swap for your first upgrade. It would make the car feel a lot better and the 3.8 wouldn't have to work so hard. Beyond that, new shocks and springs and bolt in braces to tighten it up some. Maybe Blazer front brakes and a quick ratio steering gearbox? My car hasn't run in almost five years. It's more fun having a running car.

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users

lilbowtie

Comic Book Super Hero
Jan 7, 2006
Canton Mi
Nice car, great find. I replaced my bumper fillers with fiber glass fillers off E-bay (cheap) and very happy with. I took my headliner down and cleaned the old material off. Found matching material at Jo-ann's fabric and glued it to the headliner (over 10 years ago, still good) While your deciding about re-powering drive it. If you decide on changing engines start buying all your parts and pieces that you are going to need for the swap and do your building on the side till you have everything ready - going to suggest engine, trans, and rear end. In the meantime enjoy driving your car w/o putting a hurt on your pocket book.

83 regal 019.jpg

IMG_4706.JPG

IMG_4689.JPG

Last edited:

blk7gxn

Royal Smart Person
Feb 7, 2019
Do what your heart desires, if unsure, in time it will come to you. Me personally, I love seeing all original cars at shows or driving around, so few around anymore....seems like everyone has done an engine swap on everything weather it needed it or not lol. Drive it for the summer and decide in the fall, then over winter if you desire more power, more power to you, do a swap! :) Good luck, and beautiful car!!!

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
There is no "market" for pure stock. Not yet anyway. There sure isn't one for modified, either.

You bought it for a reason. You didn't buy it because, oh, I wanted a V6 Buick Regal with 34K on the clock. What was the reason? If it was because it would be a fantastic base for a modified car, then you struck gold because it certainly seems that you did. If you bought it for a weekend cruiser just to tool around in for cheap, then it will do that too.

At any rate, find you some fillers and paint/install them, as you will probably need them no matter which way you decide. Once you get the car road-worthy, you have time to set your goal for the car. Leave it as is, or if the Buick was the car of your dreams you want to mod out and make a street monster out of, then do it. You will likely be cutting something somewhere once you start modding, so get the idea of keeping the stock crap you pull off of there out of your head unless you just do some suspension and wheel mods or what not.

Do a little or do a lot, you've got a great canvas that nobody has messed with....yet. :)

Reactions: 1 users

spidereyes455

G-Body Guru
Mar 6, 2013
Northeastern PA
Ask 20 different people and you'll likely get 20 different answers. Others can suggest what they would do with it but its up to you to decide whats right for you. With that said myself I would get it road worthy paint and replace the fillers add a set of 15 inch Buick rallies drive it for a little. The interior I would leave bone stock if its really nice. As far as drivetrain I would either go with a complete GN setup or a dead stock 455 Buick from a full size car, add duals but not headers (for ease of maintenance) with a 8.5 posi and either a properly built 200-4R or a th400 and drive the hell out of it. But that's just me I like to keep things old school and theres something to be said for a simple low tech build that you can get into and drive anywhere and have fun with.

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor