1981 cutlass suspension

Status
Not open for further replies.

rayfrausto

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jan 19, 2012
hi guys, I have a 81 cutlass supreme. It has a ls1/4l80e with 3.73 posi in the rear. Car is real fun and took me a year to build. Now it's time for suspension. I already have in mind what I want to do, but I want to ask what is best thing to upgrade first. Car has the floaty all over the place filling. I want to tighten things up. I have a 500 budget right now but I will be buying more things as I go. I just would like to know what would be the first upgrade to do to get noticeable improvement. I was thinking maybe sway bars?

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
Shocks and springs. Then sway bars, assuming the bushings/balljoints/etc. are in good shape.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

ck80

Supporting Member
Feb 18, 2014
hi guys, I have a 81 cutlass supreme. It has a ls1/4l80e with 3.73 posi in the rear. Car is real fun and took me a year to build. Now it's time for suspension. I already have in mind what I want to do, but I want to ask what is best thing to upgrade first. Car has the floaty all over the place filling. I want to tighten things up. I have a 500 budget right now but I will be buying more things as I go. I just would like to know what would be the first upgrade to do to get noticeable improvement. I was thinking maybe sway bars?

Cheapest place to start is as follows, with some back story...

Google what is called the GnX missing body bushing. Adding this frame to body bushing helps a little.

Next, different gbody cars had different frame to body braces - cutlass had crossmember to frame horn and fender to core support that other cars didnt, and you should have those. But, other cars had unique braces of their own, notably early Monte Carlos had firewall to fender for example. Add the braces from the other cars you yours, cheap to buy of grab from the pull a part, or even make from tube stock.

Speaking of which, you can make the "back seat braces" which are essentially 2 Xs made of tube stock crimped on the ends and where the pipes cross, then screwed from the edges to the vertical center strip of metal behind the upper seat back.

Front sway bar, something larger, maybe off a f-body 3rd Gen is the order of the day with new end links/bushings, and get something matched to the rear if you don't already have one.

Your next cost efficient dollars would be replacing worn bushings and new stiffer shocks, for the most part these cars were more about luxury ride than sport handling.

Depending how much, if anything, you had to replace for bushings you may be able to find a set of springs as well, and all of this will be under your $500 budget.

rayfrausto

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jan 19, 2012
I'm sure all my rubber needs to be replaced. So with this 500 I have available. Would it be best to rebuild front with moog parts or add springs and shocks? What would be best?

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
  • Agree
Reactions: 1 users

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
You won't regret overhauling the front end with Moog parts. I'm not familiar with those springs.

• Agree

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
I'm sure all my rubber needs to be replaced. So with this 500 I have available. Would it be best to rebuild front with moog parts or add springs and shocks? What would be best?

don't forrget body bushings

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

rayfrausto

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jan 19, 2012
don't forrget body bushings

I have read into that. Do body bushing make a big difference? I'm thinking maybe I should do front end rebuild with moog, and body bushing. Then save up for lower springs and good shocks next. I just hoping this 500 I have now can help cure some of the softness/slopeness

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
I have read into that. Do body bushing make a big difference? I'm thinking maybe I should do front end rebuild with moog, and body bushing. Then save up for lower springs and good shocks next. I just hoping this 500 I have now can help cure some of the softness/slopeness

they do make a big difference and it will give you the change to see what condition the frame and body mounts are in. The car is around 3 decades old so I would replace all the brake and fuel lines along with all the rubber that has long passed it's expected life.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor