1981 gmc caballero Amarillo

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 15, 2021
I have a 1981 gmc caballero Amarillo with 51000 miles . It’s all original with the 229 v-6 motor . No rust . Brown and tan two tone. One owner . It had one small scratch on the passenger side door . I couldn’t find much on them online and didn’t know how much it was really worth . I’m wanting to sell it for a good price

• Wow
Reactions: 1 user

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
I have a 1981 gmc caballero Amarillo with 51000 miles . It’s all original with the 229 v-6 motor . No rust . Brown and tan two tone. One owner . It had one small scratch on the passenger side door . I couldn’t find much on them online and didn’t know how much it was really worth . I’m wanting to sell it for a good price
I would start by posting pictures in the For Sale section, and telling us where you're located.

scoti

Royal Smart Person
Sep 5, 2019
Texas
"Good price" for your bank account or for the buyers? The results might vary.....

My thoughts say they're worth what any other '81 Caballero is worth which depends on the basics (drivetrain/chassis/body/interior condition). 'Special editions' for these vehicles were nothing more than some stick on stripes so they don't add significant value.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

CrammerGram69

Master Mechanic
Nov 15, 2019
SW, Michigan
Agreed. We need pictures! I love the fact it still has the 229 Chevy V6. Usually, 85% of people would have removed it by the time it was a few years old! So that gives me the assumption someone REALLY CARED For that car. As for value, I've always found not only does it depends on the Marketplace prices, but also hugely on your location, popularity of the Body Platform (A/G Body), and what most survivor cars are going for. If there are any At all!

scoti I wouldn't necessarily say that. Although most upgrades by the 70s as you said was just Stripe/Decal kits and body flares, some automakers still did Special Suspension Upgrades and other things. In all honesty, it is down to the Body Tag RPO codes that would make it valuable/collectible. That's what I've learned from the old-timers. Part Numbers, Body/Frame Serial #s and Body tag RPOs are everything to identifying a "Real deal" car and appraising it. Even if it is not that collectible.

scoti

Royal Smart Person
Sep 5, 2019
Texas
Agreed. We need pictures! I love the fact it still has the 229 Chevy V6. Usually, 85% of people would have removed it by the time it was a few years old! So that gives me the assumption someone REALLY CARED For that car. As for value, I've always found not only does it depends on the Marketplace prices, but also hugely on your location, popularity of the Body Platform (A/G Body), and what most survivor cars are going for. If there are any At all!

scoti I wouldn't necessarily say that. Although most upgrades by the 70s as you said was just Stripe/Decal kits and body flares, some automakers still did Special Suspension Upgrades and other things. In all honesty, it is down to the Body Tag RPO codes that would make it valuable/collectible. That's what I've learned from the old-timers. Part Numbers, Body/Frame Serial #s and Body tag RPOs are everything to identifying a "Real deal" car and appraising it. Even if it is not that collectible.
Fair enough.... Some automakers did special suspension upgrades & other things. I could see an SS El Camino getting this sort of booster shot. Anything else was just stickers for whatever extra glory they could utilize to make the sale.

CrammerGram69

Master Mechanic
Nov 15, 2019
SW, Michigan
Fair enough.... Some automakers did special suspension upgrades & other things. I could see an SS El Camino getting this sort of booster shot. Anything else was just stickers for whatever extra glory they could utilize to make the sale.
Or possibly taking the Malibu M80 as a fair example then yes. lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor