1981 GMC Caballero

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tomeal

G-Body Guru
Apr 17, 2016
Clyde,pa
The wheel bearings for the rotors changed through the early years. You should be good if you search for 81 cab/elky parts. You can also use rockauto to see differences in the years and part numbers.

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
The wheel bearings for the rotors changed through the early years. You should be good if you search for 81 cab/elky parts. You can also use rockauto to see differences in the years and part numbers.
That will be a '78 only issue with the bearings with matching rotors. '79 up all us the same bearings.

• Agree
  • Informative
Reactions: 2 users

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
Always remember GM's disclaimer when it comes to the rhyme or reason they change stuff up...

GM and GM dealers reserve the right to make changes in vehicles built and/or sold by them at any time without incurring any obligation to make the same or similar changes on vehicles previously built and/or sold by them.

Reactions: 1 user
Jun 26, 2022
Last month, at the beginning of June 2022, a 1979 GMC V6 3.81L 231 CID came by me with my buddy, Roy Mosqueria, who was given the truck by a long-time friend, and he has owned 5 Elcos. The plan was that we were just going to flip it. Well, after a few days of it being in the driveway, broken windshield, wheels on the ground, the body was straight with only an edge of rust on one back part of the window, clean lines, I kinda fell in love with it and bought it off my friend who needed a driveway to put it in, so we could flip it. Within 4 days, I had pulled out the carpet and ordered a carb, gas tank, and all fuel and related hoses. Before we got started, we hit the carb with brake cleaner and it fired right up. I knew we had a winner. As of today, I have lovingly put this truck back into shape, with all kinds of basic things. My goal is to get it started, put the dash back in, and take it to my buddy to put new springs, deal with the brakes, and check it out, as I will do the rest.
One thing about this one, is it's a Caballero, and you just can't go into a store or online, and say you have a Caballero as they look at you funny. 99% of the truck is an Elco, so that is what I tell most.
One thing I have found is that there are very few original V6 3.8L 231 in existence. Nobody has a belt diagram of this car. I spent hours looking for one and well... nothing. We took out the CA emissions so it would run better for now. I have all kinds of goodies coming from DixieRestoration. I really like Paul over there. They seem to be a lot more eager to assist you than opgi.
I am replacing the heater core, which is a real b*tch to pull, but i got it, and now i have to leave it apart till i get the new rubber for the vent door. I have a youtube channel and i have been taking videos of lots of DIY things that I will soon post. it has been fun and keeps my blood pressure down.
Love to hear your stories and we can all help each other.
8-7-2022 update
I am enjoying this referb, but i hit burn out after being at it for just 60 days, i have made great ground. I have cleaned up and painted all the interior parts, blacked ut the engine compartment, dash removed and reskinned, with a DIN radio and amp, new floor pans, insulation, and carpet. steering column turn signal fixed up, power steering fixed.
I have fixed up the blower system and need to get photos of how the vacuum hoses are actually setup as most was unhooked when i got it, and the manuals suck. preparing the interior with the windshield out making it easy to work on. new headliner from opg which is a better headliner that other places (don't cheap out on this part). This weekend, the seats went in to be redone, in a light red color with black piping, to complement the all-back interior. alarm system purchased and to be installed. gotta service the train fluid, and there is a new aluminum radiator with a hot switched fan mounted, its frustrating as I want to install the dash and be done, but the little things are holding me back. the lower door is going to be black, with a speaker install and new re-covered uppers all wiring checked and the AC install is the thing that is plaguing me. I do not have photos or layouts of vacuum hoses and power from the relays and I have to replace the ac pump. Looks like i probably have to replace all three components, and what a pain, but i want to do it right. that's it for now and I will be posting video progress work. i am not a perfectionist so this will be a fun daily driver. e

Attachments

• 6-25-2022 ready to get the radiator in.jpeg
    6-25-2022 ready to get the radiator in.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 52
  • engine after water pump.jpeg
    engine after water pump.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 52
  • hood caballero 6-25-2022.jpeg
    hood caballero 6-25-2022.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 53
  • roy and ek caballero.jpeg
    roy and ek caballero.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 53
  • water pump.jpeg
    water pump.jpeg
    3.1 MB · Views: 58
  • open hood.jpeg
    open hood.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 57
  • pitbul.jpeg
    pitbul.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 56
Last edited:

86LK

Royal Smart Person
Jul 23, 2018
Last month, at the beginning of June 2022, a 1979 GMC V6 3.81L 231 CID came by me with my buddy, Roy Mosqueria, who was given the truck by a long-time friend, and he has owned 5 Elcos. The plan was that we were just going to flip it. Well, after a few days of it being in the driveway, broken windshield, wells on the ground, the body was straight with only an edge of rust on one back part of the window, clean lines, I kinda fell in love with it and bought it off my friend who needed a driveway to put it in, so we could flip it. Within 4 days, I had pulled out the carpet and ordered a carb, gas tank, and all fuel and related hoses. Before we got started, we hit the carb with brake cleaner and it fired right up. I knew we had a winner. As of today, I have lovingly put this truck back into shape, with all kinds of basic things. My goal is to get it started, put the dash back in, and take it to my buddy to put new springs, deal with the brakes, and check it out, as I will do the rest.
One thing about this one, is it's a Caballero, and you just can't go into a store or online, and say you have a Caballero as they look at you funny. 99% of the truck is an Elco, so that is what I tell most.
One thing I have found is that there are very few original V6 3.8L 231 in existence. Nobody has a belt diagram of this car. I spent hours looking for one and well... nothing. We took out the CA emissions so it would run better for now. I have all kinds of goodies coming from DixieRestoration. I really like Paul over there. They seem to be a lot more eager to assist you than opgi.
I am replacing the heater core, which is a real b*tch to pull, but i got it, and now i have to leave it apart till i get the new rubber for the vent door. I have a youtube channel and i have been taking videos of lots of DIY things that I will soon post. it has been fun and keeps my blood pressure down.
Love to hear your stories and we can all help each other. e
"Does anyone know where I can find some Replacement Parts for a 231 c.i. V6? Its the buick engine that came in the '81 Elko that was only sold in CA."

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor